CNN.com: Not showing other news...

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I have to click the CNNmoney link to get anywhere.

Okay, the election is over, time to restore the front page to feature other news...like the financial markets

In other financial news...

The NASDAQ is down.
The S&P 500 is down.
Oil is down.
The USD is down. (Euro is climbing.)

Oh well, I was hoping the markets / USD would blow through the roof now that the messiah has been elected. I guess that ain't happening.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

Okay, the election is over, time to restore the front page to feature other news...like the financial markets

The NASDAQ is down.
The S&P 500 is down.
Oil is down.

Oh well, I was hoping the markets / USD would blow through the roof now that the messiah has been elected. I guess that ain't happening.

considering that he was the overwhelming favorite, i woudl assume that it was already priced into the market.

I didn't really understand the rally of the last few days, or why the market is even near 10k. My guess is that now that the election has passed, people are getting back to realizing the the economy is still not doing so hot.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002

He's no messiah. Not even close.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Several earnings reports offered disappointing assessments. GMAC, the finance company partly owned by General Motors, said Wednesday that it lost $2.52 billion in the third quarter and that its mortgage unit, ResCap, was struggling to survive. Time Warner reported a higher-than-expected third-quarter profit, but lowered its outlook for the rest of the year.

Crude oil declined $2.23 to $68.30 ahead of a government report that is expected to show oil inventories increased as demand slowed.

"Obama's victory was no surprise," Philippe Gijsels, senior equity strategist at Fortis Global Markets in Brussels, said. "The market will move on quickly from here."

Nonetheless, it appears that stocks are in "a very big bear-market rally," Gijsels said, and "we're facing one of the worst global economic slowdowns we've ever seen. That's not political."

http://iht.com/articles/2008/1...business/06markets.php

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Election bounce was yesterday. You snooze, you lose.

BTW a 200 point swing in the Dow these days is hardly newsworthy. It's almost a tranquil day.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Let's all blame Obama and not the idiot that the OP voted into power the last two elections.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Didn't the same thing happen in 2000 after Bush won? I distinctly remember losing a boat load of money in the months that followed Bush's win and subsequent inauguration. I also remember the talking heads claim it was the old president?s fault, not the new sheriff.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Amazing. Someone is actually asking why on the day after a new president is elected, news websites are covered with news about the new president being elected.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
:music: Change change
Obama's gunna change
change change :music:

Oh, wait, the President or President elect doesnt control the stock market? You dont say?

Obama would have won even without the financial meltdown, but it would have been closer without it. Why do people think the President controls everything?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
No one thinks that the pres controls anything. Most of us believe (rightfully so) that the president's policies heavily influence things like the market however.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

The NASDAQ is down.
The S&P 500 is down.
Oil is down.

Because with the numbers on the board it isnt news. What else do they need other than to flash the tickers for a few seconds? Do we need Wolf to do a composition?

hehe

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: buck
Let's all blame Obama and not the idiot that the OP voted into power the last two elections.

Wow ...... what the hell does your statement have to do with the topic that is being discussed here?
Dude .... go take and aspirin and lie down. You'll feel better after a nice nap.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Obama's gunna change

Oh, wait, the President or President elect doesnt control the stock market? You dont say?

Obama would have won even without the financial meltdown, but it would have been closer without it. Why do people think the President controls everything?

The president does have influence on the stock market through the policies he enacts. The president elect enacts no policies, so how could he?

Then again, you already knew that. Like I said before the election, now the standard right wing talking point will be "WHY ISN'T THE COUNTRY FIXED YET, IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS ALREADY".

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
The DJI is up from two days ago, but down from yesterday's election bump. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Obama's gunna change

The president does have influence on the stock market through the policies he enacts. The president elect enacts no policies, so how could he?

Then again, you already knew that. Like I said before the election, now the standard right wing talking point will be "WHY ISN'T THE COUNTRY FIXED YET, IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS ALREADY".

Example? Direct cause and effect?

Nevermind. I found the refrence to how Clinton sparked the beginning of the end of the housing meltdown.

Nevermind.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I thought OP said he was going to stop crying about the election? Or was that for last night only?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Wait, you thought Wall Street would approve of a democrat in the white house? what country do you live in?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

You jest, but you are not alone:

http://www.theonion.com/conten...illary_clinton_resumes

Less than 20 minutes after Barack Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States, New York senator Hillary Clinton officially resumed her political attacks against the Illinois senator and president-elect. "My fellow Americans, I admire Barack Obama, but in his first twenty minutes as president-elect, he has failed time and time again to deliver the change he promised," the former Democratic presidential candidate said at a small rally in Harlem. "Mr. Obama may deliver a rousing victory speech, but right now this country needs more than just speeches. It needs real leadership." In addition to her numerous scheduled public appearances, Clinton has also released a series of coordinated television and radio ads questioning the near half hour Obama has spent away from the White House, his failure to meet with a single foreign leader at Camp David since being elected, and the current lack of any female or minority appointments to his cabinet.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: jonks

You jest, but you are not alone:

http://www.theonion.com/conten...illary_clinton_resumes

Less than 20 minutes after Barack Obama was elected the 44th president of the United States, New York senator Hillary Clinton officially resumed her political attacks against the Illinois senator and president-elect. "My fellow Americans, I admire Barack Obama, but in his first twenty minutes as president-elect, he has failed time and time again to deliver the change he promised," the former Democratic presidential candidate said at a small rally in Harlem. "Mr. Obama may deliver a rousing victory speech, but right now this country needs more than just speeches. It needs real leadership." In addition to her numerous scheduled public appearances, Clinton has also released a series of coordinated television and radio ads questioning the near half hour Obama has spent away from the White House, his failure to meet with a single foreign leader at Camp David since being elected, and the current lack of any female or minority appointments to his cabinet.

lol nice link lol

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The DJIA is still up 1200 points from last week. :confused:

Obviously, the market expression "priced in" is something that people around here don't understand.