CNN Article

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I find it disturbing that the media continues to make the Obama-Clinton divide a race vs. gender issue.

Who cares where either candidate stands on the issues...you have women supporting Hillary because she is a woman...you have black voters supporting Obama because he is black.

On noes...what ever will the black women voters do?

That we reduce our political choices to the lowest common denominator is absurd.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
As long as people see themselves as a separate entity as in "White American" "African American" "Mexican American" we will still have stupid segregated mindsets in which we infer by the name itself. Get rid of the racial indifference and be American only. The only thing on peoples minds should be "I am American". Plain and simple.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
What I find interesting is that this discussion ONLY comes up when we're talking about minority candidates. Nobody has yet complained about the legions of Christians who would only vote for someone who shared their religious views or how being from the northeast really hurts candidates campaigning in the south. No, we're fine with people voting for "their" particular group...up until it's a more traditional minority group. THEN everyone bitches and moans that people aren't more open minded in their choice of candidates. Give me a break.

Mavtek3100

Jan 15, 2008
I'm a white male and will be voting for a white male come primary time in my state. If said white male doesn't make it to the general I could be voting black male. To be honest though it's not looking very likely that said black male will be making it to the general.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
What I find interesting is that this discussion ONLY comes up when we're talking about minority candidates. Nobody has yet complained about the legions of Christians who would only vote for someone who shared their religious views or how being from the northeast really hurts candidates campaigning in the south. No, we're fine with people voting for "their" particular group...up until it's a more traditional minority group. THEN everyone bitches and moans that people aren't more open minded in their choice of candidates. Give me a break.

Wouldn't voting for someone that shares your own beliefs and most likely values be a lot better than voting just because they are a certain color or gender?

I'm Christian, but will vote on whichever candidate I think views line up with how I like and most of the time they are Christian.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
This sounds more like the MSM trying to generate a story/ratings out of what 99.9% of people consider a non-issue. Black women should vote for whoever best represents their views on the issues, as should members of any other race/gender. This has nothing to do with trying to get one of "your own" in office for most people. Sadly, though, I realize that a few WILL vote for just that reason. They are a danger to our democracy.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
they are doing both this year due to having viable female and viable AA/black candidates

since there are more woman than anything else in the USA, Hillary is going to be your next president

the chicks are coming and it is payback time, for sure

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: cpals
I never visit here, but I saw an article on CNN that I couldn't grasp... do most people vote due to their race or gender? I find it horrible that they actually think this way. Maybe it's true, I don't know.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITI...ml?eref=rss_topstories

Thoughts?

Race and sex have not really been issues before at the presidential election level because it has alway been white guys who were the serious contenders.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cpals
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Wouldn't voting for someone that shares your own beliefs and most likely values be a lot better than voting just because they are a certain color or gender?

I'm Christian, but will vote on whichever candidate I think views line up with how I like and most of the time they are Christian.

Who says that's not what's going on here? The fact remains that we are not a completely homogeneous society...there are certain values and viewpoints more likely to be held by someone of a certain color or gender. Women might vote for Hillary not just because she's a woman, but because AS A WOMAN she might be more likely to be sympathetic to a woman's point of view.

I mean, you're basically doing what I'm talking about. You aren't voting for someone because they are Christian, you're voting for someone because they share your views. But because your views are shaped by your religion, that makes it far more likely that you'll support someone who shares your religion. Similarly, many people in minority groups hold views that are shaped by their race or gender and would want a candidate that shares those views...which is more likely to be someone of the same race or gender.

It makes little sense to be a color or gender blind voter when the issues aren't color or gender blind.

Duddy

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2002
Wow! Are they saying that black people are more racist than whites? I'm shocked!

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/20.../results/epolls/#OHDEM

it's pretty disturbing to look at the exit polls based on race. with latinos and whites it's fairly even. but blacks are going 80% obama

i was looking at ohio and texas. and for texas it was the latinos that got clinton a win. while ohio it was the lack of college educated people.

you can pretty much predict who will win based upon the demographics, sorta sad.

obama
black
young
educated

clinton
female
latino
old
uneducated

based upon that, i'd say clinton edges out obama in votes just don't think the black and young vote will be large enough to overcome the old voters.