News [CNBC] AMD, Samsung partner on mobile graphics tech

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
It will be based on AMD’s Radeon technology as a part of their extended partnership and will focus on improving optimization. While it wasn’t explicitly mentioned in the tweet, it is suggested that the two companies will focus on optimization rather than raw performance.

They make it sound like the fault it's on AMD's architecture, but wasn't the problem with their last try Samsung process taht clocked the GPU much lower than expected?

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
Wouldn't that be stupid? So many CUs?
There's enough bandwidth to justify this?
It's going to need those... Exynos 2200 ran hot and current Snapdragon is on another level in performance. Next gen Snapdragon is going to have even beefier GPU so even this might not be enough.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
4x more CU is a gigantic improvement, but of course, If the frequency will be only 50% of the Xclipse 920, then you gain only ~100% more performance. That would be only enough to be on par with the best Adreno 740 implementations.

3DMark Wild Life Unlimited

Xclipse 920(Link) vs Adreno 740(Link)

7288-7890 vs 13827-14566 (Difference: 75-100%)

3DMark Wild Life Extreme Unlimited:

Xclipse 920 vs Adreno 740

1855-1935 vs 3173-3791 (Difference: 64-104%)

In the end, the frequency during gaming will be the key factor of how good It will perform.
Even If peak performance ends up worse, If the stability will be higher than the next gen Adreno, It could end up the same or better for actual gaming.
Adreno 740 in Asus ROG Phone 7 manages only 55.9% in Dynamic mode, but with AeroActive Cooler 7 a fantastic 99.5% stability. Link

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
4x more CU is a gigantic improvement, but of course, If the frequency will be only 50% of the Xclipse 920, then you gain only ~100% more performance. That would be only enough to be on par with the best Adreno 740 implementations.

3DMark Wild Life Unlimited

Xclipse 920(Link) vs Adreno 740(Link)

7288-7890 vs 13827-14566 (Difference: 75-100%)

3DMark Wild Life Extreme Unlimited:

Xclipse 920 vs Adreno 740

1855-1935 vs 3173-3791 (Difference: 64-104%)

In the end, the frequency during gaming will be the key factor of how good It will perform.
Even If peak performance ends up worse, If the stability will be higher than the next gen Adreno, It could end up the same or better for actual gaming.
Adreno 740 in Asus ROG Phone 7 manages only 55.9% in Dynamic mode, but with AeroActive Cooler 7 a fantastic 99.5% stability. Link
Also keep in mind that actual games often run like... you know what and the experience was often a stutterfest and/or FPS all over the place. Samsung also did some rather questionable things like by default games didn't even run at native resolution (or at the intended resolution). One had to use Samsung's Game Plugins and manually set the resolution to max (ironically one doesn't need to do that with S23). Of course it only affected games and not benchmarks...

It doesn't have native OpenGL ES driver so it uses ANGLE. No doubt that that's part of the problem but even still, it wasn't that competitive in pure Vulkan benchmarks.

I upgraded from S22 Exynos to S23 and it was absolutely massive upgrade.

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
Also keep in mind that actual games often run like... you know what and the experience was often a stutterfest and/or FPS all over the place. Samsung also did some rather questionable things like by default games didn't even run at native resolution (or at the intended resolution). One had to use Samsung's Game Plugins and manually set the resolution to max (ironically one doesn't need to do that with S23). Of course it only affected games and not benchmarks...

It doesn't have native OpenGL ES driver so it uses ANGLE. No doubt that that's part of the problem but even still, it wasn't that competitive in pure Vulkan benchmarks.

I upgraded from S22 Exynos to S23 and it was absolutely massive upgrade.
I don't know, I don't play on my phone, never saw the appeal.
I don't understand what you wanted to say with your post. I posted the numbers where Adreno 740 is 2x faster and you pretty much confirmed It. Was that the point?

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I don't know, I don't play on my phone, never saw the appeal.
I don't understand what you wanted to say with your post. I posted the numbers where Adreno 740 is 2x faster and you pretty much confirmed It. Was that the point?
No. The point was that it actual games it runs worse than what 3DMark would suggest. Efficiency is pretty bad too.