CMOS Checksum Bad

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
Hey there, been visiting AnandTech a long time but only now signed up to the forums. Basically half the time I reboot I hey this CMOS checksum bad error and sometimes it also says overclocking failed (the pc is no longer overclocked). Now it gives me 2 options: F1 to run SETUP or F2 to load defaults and continue. If i hit F2 it will either tell me I have a disk read error and prompt me to ctrl+alt+del to reboot (my hard drives are perfectly fine) or it will fail to see my boot drive entirely and ask me to select a boot device and reboot.
When I hit F1 and went to setup i tried loading defaults but that didnt help, if i load defaults and select the proper boot device then save and exit it just gives me the CMOS error again after it reboots. Basically I have no idea whats causing this error and booting my pc is now purely a luck based affair of trial and error until it just boots without error. I forgot to mention that sometimes it wont POST at all and ill simply see a black screen while all my fans are still running as if the pc is on.

I have to mention i tried the obvious fix to this error which was replacing the CMOS battery which did nothing. I did a full virus scan since I read a virus or trojan could have messed with the CMOS data but came up empty. The motherboard by the way is an ASUS P5B Deluxe (its a fairly old computer but im waiting for sandy bridge) at this point im thinking my BIOS is just crapping out and ill have to replace the mobo which im really hoping to avoid at this point so any help regarding the matter would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Other possibilities are bad ram (run memtest86), bad HDD (run manuf's utility), bad PSU causing HDD errors, overheating and, components need to be reseated. Please post specs and a detailed list and sequence of the troubleshooting steps you have already tried.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
I'd pull the motherboard from the case and disconnect or remove everything you possibly can from the motherboard and see what happens.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Maybe you burned up the RAM?? Last time I saw this the RAM was incompatible with the motherboard but it worked in another motherboard.

supremor

Dec 2, 2010
The full specs are :
P5B Deluxe
C2D E6600 currently at stock
Gigabyte HD4870 1GB
X-Fi XtremeMusic
2x1GB G.Skill ram and 1x2GB kingston stick
2x WD HHDs a 250gb thats about 3.5 years old and a 1TB thats slightly over a year old.
PSU is some semi generic huntkey crap but its been running on that for almost a year now with no problems since my corsair psu died on me.
What ive tried so far was replacing the cmos battery, which also forced me to remove and reseat the gpu (awesome battery placement), clearing the cmos and a virus scan. Ill test the ram and follow the link above tomorrow and report back with any progress or lack thereof.