CMOS battery: will any lithium 3.0v battery do?

STF92

Aug 22, 2011
Motherboard M741LMRT-H.

Hi:
I hope I did choose the right subforum . The CMOS battery in my motherboard seems to have a nominal voltage of 3.0V. It's a lithium battery, model CR2032. In a certain forum they told me
I like to see CR2032's over 3.1 Volts
It is from here that I take the nominal value to be 3.0V. I have two questions to do:
(a) Are CMOS batteries with 3.0V nominal common?
(b) Will any 3.0V (or what ever the voltage may be) lithium battery do, or has it to be a CR2032?

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Motherboard M741LMRT-H.

Hi:
I hope I did choose the right subforum . The CMOS battery in my motherboard seems to have a nominal voltage of 3.0V. It's a lithium battery, model CR2032. In a certain forum they told me It is from here that I take the nominal value to be 3.0V. I have two questions to do:
(a) Are CMOS batteries with 3.0V nominal common?
(b) Will any 3.0V (or what ever the voltage may be) lithium battery do, or has it to be a CR2032?

You can use any CR2032 3.0V Lithium battery,ie this one will do http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Elec...ef=pd_sbs_op_3

CR2032 3.0v batteries are common especially for motherboards etc...

Btw make sure its CR2032 battery because these type of round batteries come in different sizes ,ie CR2016 here http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Watc...4098650&sr=1-2 would be smaller so no good for you ,YOU NEED CR2032.

Hope thats clear ,so just get a CR2032 3.0v lithium battery like in first link.

I normally stick to top brands for batteries ie Duracell,Energizer,Panasonic etc....

Last edited:

STF92

Aug 22, 2011
Thank you so much for your information. I think to stick to your advice about brands. Regards.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Any well stocked drug store, supermarket, or office supply store should have some CR2032 batteries for ~$5 (or less).

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The numbers in the model refer to dimensions, 2032 is 20mm diameter by 3.2mm thick. You could actually use a CR2016 in a pinch with "most" battery holders because there's enough spring tension to make contact. Otherwise, the battery holder is the issue, it has to physically make contact or else you could rig up anything you like to reach 3V like a pair of alkaline AA in a batter holder wired to it but since boards don't have external battery pin header connectors like they did years ago, it's so fiddly to do that and unreasonable when CR2032 are easy to find and inexpensive.

I'd order those over the internet (ebay, etc but make sure it's shipping from the US so it doesn't take a month to get to you) not at a local drugstore unless it's an emergency. Local stores tend to charge about 10X as much for button cell batteries if buying more than one at a time, or ~ 3X as much for one including shipping cost.

Last edited:

STF92

Aug 22, 2011
Very kind of you to have sent such a wealth of info. Astonishing the part where you speak about the header connectors. Thanks a lot.

PS: I got a pair of Sony CR2032 at a computer shop nearby home! Well under u$s 5.00!

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
The numbers in the model refer to dimensions, 2032 is 20mm diameter by 3.2mm thick. You could actually use a CR2016 in a pinch with "most" battery holders because there's enough spring tension to make contact. Otherwise, the battery holder is the issue, it has to physically make contact or else you could rig up anything you like to reach 3V like a pair of alkaline AA in a batter holder wired to it but since boards don't have external battery pin header connectors like they did years ago, it's so fiddly to do that and unreasonable when CR2032 are easy to find and inexpensive.

I'd order those over the internet (ebay, etc but make sure it's shipping from the US so it doesn't take a month to get to you) not at a local drugstore unless it's an emergency. Local stores tend to charge about 10X as much for button cell batteries if buying more than one at a time, or ~ 3X as much for one including shipping cost.

The CR2016 are thinner, you can actually stack 2 CR2016 and it makes 1 CR2032 basically.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Don't know if they still do, but your local Radio Shack usually have CR2032 for $3. Alternately you can get a 5-pack from DealExtreme.com for the same price, shipping included. Your choice on getting it today for more money, or getting it in 2-4 weeks.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Do NOT do this, the voltage would also be doubled, which would be bad for your CMOS.

Aw crap, these were the 1.5v batteries I am talking about. I am not sure if they even make them anymore. You could stack (2) 1.5v and it would make 3v. I don't have the batteries anymore because they are now dead but it was powering my Sega Saturn that way for years and replaced a CR2032 that died.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
What is being talked about in the OP is battery freshness. A healthy fresh new CR2032 will produce a no load voltage in excess of 3.2 volts. In general, battery voltage falls with age (shelf life). Lithium batteries have a long shelf life usually as much as 5 years. A check on some good Cr2032s I have showed in excess of 3.2 volts, but one of them was about 2.84 volts and I decided to throw that one out (too close to end of life). Lithiums, unlike carbon or alklyn batteries have a relatively flat voltage fall off curve, meaning that voltage maintains near the specified nominal (3.0 v for CR2032) for most of the life of the battery, but then falls rapidly near the end of service life.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
yeah key points here are

-yes. any battery setup you can imagine that tests at 3.0 volts (+/- 10&#37;) should work as batteries are DC and the board will only draw the current it needs.

-3.2v on a button cell would mean you have at least a year or two left in its life. most likely 5 years+. if you buy a new button cell and it shows 2.9v, you just bought something that has been sitting on a shelf for at least half a decade.

-i bought i think 100 button cells for about $15 on ebay a while ago. never intended to use them for motherboards or other critical stuff, and im glad i didnt. i never tested their voltage, but the remote control in my truck worked for i think 3 months while it normally goes a year or so on batteries i KNOW are fresh. i just wanted these for some LED light toys i was making, and they were perfect for that (cheap and worked).

Flakemaster

Nov 5, 2016
Im using a msi 970 gaming motherboard and it was using a KTS cr2032 Lithium battery but when I replaced it with a Energizer 3 volt CR2032 battery I just gives me the 92 at the bottom right corner of my screen

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Chances are your CMOS settings got reset or corrupted, when you replaced the battery. (Did you do it while the PC was unplugged?)

Try using your "Clear CMOS" jumper (with the battery installed, and PC unplugged from the wall. If it's a dual-position jumper,. set it to CLEAR for a second or two, then move it back to NORMAL. (With AC power disconnected from PC.)

Then, on next bootup, you should get a message that CMOS memory was cleared, press F1 or DEL for SETUP, something along those lines. Then re-setup your BIOS / UEFI settings. (Don't forget to set your SATA controller mode properly, to the installed OS - either IDE/Legacy, AHCI, or RAID.)