cmd.exe - Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate....

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I keep getting the message "cmd.exe - Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application" popping up on my screen every 10 seconds then disappears. I can run all other programs fine and my system seems to run normally with the exception of that message constantly popping up. Here is a screenshot of what the message looks like. It was hard to get since it disappears almost instantly. I ran Norton Antivirus but it didnt' come up with anything. I looked in the Task Manager and CMD.EXE is open 75 times. I tried restarting my computer but they quickly kept opening until it reached 75 processes then that error message started comming up again.

I'm currently using this workaround I have found but it only hides the errors. I'm still getting all those processes open and my log file is probably growing in size very fast.

PurpleHat

Jul 30, 2001
I have seen this several times in the past, and my experience is that it has always been the result of a virus. I would recommend checking your services for anything that should not be their (2 of the services that I have seen cause this are NTService and FireDaemon). These are legitimate services but have been used by hackers to deploy viruses. If that comes up short l would check out the run keys in the registry make nothing is starting automatically that you do not want.

Good Luck