Closet design around a shed dormer...need help finding ideas.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I built this 30'X30' attached garage on my house and put a bonus room upstairs. I have a 10 foot ceiling with double shed dormers that are 15' wide. The ceiling goes from 10' down to 7.5' in height at a 4/12 pitch. The rest corners are a 9.5/12 pitch, so they come down pretty steep.

On the sides of the shed dormers, I had 4 corners, but opted to use one corner for storage and another was knee-walled off because it was behind a bathroom. That's leaving me 2 corners I'd like to convert to closet space. Here's a rough drawing.

1641494424334.png

The issue is that the ceiling is sloped pretty steep on both closets and that they're 7.5' wide with no doorway yet. I have hardwood flooring installed all the way to the corners. The dimensions are probably 7.5'X10' with almost a 10' ceiling near the bed going down to 0' in the corners. Just trying to figure out the best way to install closet storage stuff or poles for hanging clothes for that kind of space. I built some storage shelves from 1X12 pine a month or so ago and my wife wants something similar up there. Just a challenge to figure out how to make it functional. Any ideas?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
how about a 12 in peice of black pipe on a pipe flange sticking out from the wall in several spots along the angle for different length clothes?

a pic of the space would be great also.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
how about a 12 in peice of black pipe on a pipe flange sticking out from the wall in several spots along the angle for different length clothes?

a pic of the space would be great also.
The space now just has a bunch of baskets and stuff on the floor. These aren't great pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_20200503_204300507.jpg
    IMG_20200503_204300507.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200825_094218127.jpg
    IMG_20200825_094218127.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 27

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I get that you have flooring all the way, but my gut feel would be to wall it off where it gets ridiculous to access. My back would get unhappy at about 3' high.
I would build drawers in there and put the clothes so I could access those drawers. You could put long slides on them and almost stand up after I pulled them out.
you could closet rod all the way across, but not load it up so you could slide clothes one way or another to get to the drawer you wanted.
It would be great for shoes and decorations, things that you are not into all the time.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Another drawer box idea is to have the drawer box on casters. That way you could load them and then roll them back into the "drawer garage" .
Curtain across there or build a little header and hang regular bi-fold doors for the finished look.

Reactions: highland145

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I get that you have flooring all the way, but my gut feel would be to wall it off where it gets ridiculous to access. My back would get unhappy at about 3' high.
I would build drawers in there and put the clothes so I could access those drawers. You could put long slides on them and almost stand up after I pulled them out.
you could closet rod all the way across, but not load it up so you could slide clothes one way or another to get to the drawer you wanted.
It would be great for shoes and decorations, things that you are not into all the time.
I'm trying to visualize what you're visualizing. I've thought about a few different build-in scenarios, but haven't decided the best approach. I really had it closed in for the sake of insulation and had enough flooring that it wasn't a problem to nail down hardwood in that area. I can always knee-wall it however I need to later.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
imagine a rolling drawer box that pulls out of the low area towards the bed. build a nice finished ( knee ) wall for it to go into. When the drawer is in it would look nice. You could put a rod of clothes across too, just load it lightly so you could slide the cothes and get to which ever drawer you wanted.
Then put bifolds over the face of it if you want that totally closed off look.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
imagine a rolling drawer box that pulls out of the low area towards the bed. build a nice finished ( knee ) wall for it to go into. When the drawer is in it would look nice. You could put a rod of clothes across too, just load it lightly so you could slide the cothes and get to which ever drawer you wanted.
Then put bifolds over the face of it if you want that totally closed off look.
I thought about that. But like that suggestion. It's going to take some design work to make that right. I'd also need some good plywood and particle board to build it right.

I also thought about hiding beds in the knee wall too and having them slide out. (To house 2 queen beds up there)