Cloning Windows 7 HDD to SSD, with alignment.

AbRASiON

Oct 10, 1999
Hi all,

Has anyone successfully cloned Windows 7 (Beta, RC or RTM) to a new SSD theyv'e installed in their PC, without the need to re-build the PC?
I would like to do this over the coming few weeks and I wouldn't mind knowing what the best way to ensure I get the best performance is?

I've used Acronis True image and Disk Director in the past (admitedly older versions) and they completely nuked my Windows 7 install, when the low level disk driver for the Acronis tools is loaded on, the OS won't boot anymore.
Doing it under a boot CD yeilded similar, unbootable results on the target disk (not quite the same error)

What is the ideal tool to do this, preferably free however if not I can pay.
Any suggestions?
Bonus question, who knows a lot about TRIM and Microsofts support for it? Is it going to require that the OS is re-built, or if I back my OS up, flash the drive and restore (if needed) Windows 7 will simply detect TRIM, no need for a re-build?
Thanks for your time, appreciate it.

Yellowbeard

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2003
Wouldn't a clean install with the Windows Easy Transfer tool be the best option for now since the tools are not working? It works a lot better than the old Files and Settings Transfer Wiz from XP.

betaflame

Jul 28, 2009
I don't know about alignment, but dd will work fine for drive copy. Just shrink the partition to smaller than the SSD first.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I tried and failed to clone a win7 install with proper alignment using acronis. It was aligned on the old HD, but not aligned on the new HD. What ended up working for me is to clone/restore as you wish, but then use the gparted "live cd" to fix the alignment.

The alignment and repair process is all here and it is easier than it sounds:
http://www.tuxyturvy.com/blog/...thout-Losing-Data.html

True Image Home 2009 works just fine with Win7, but you can also use something free like clonezilla. Anything that boots from a CD should not even care what OS you are cloning. All it sees is an NTFS partition. Any boot problems can be easily repaired by booting to the Win7 DVD.

AbRASiON

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Yellowbeard
Wouldn't a clean install with the Windows Easy Transfer tool be the best option for now since the tools are not working? It works a lot better than the old Files and Settings Transfer Wiz from XP.

What is this tool and can you provide more information?
How much does it back up? because ideally, I'd not have to re-install at all.

AbRASiON

Oct 10, 1999
It sounds useful but not as good as avoiding a re-build entirely, especially the nitty gritty stuff like installed applications :/
I figure within weeks or months there will be demand in the geek community for a reliable disk to ssd cloning tool, so I'm starting the hunt early.

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
since windows 7 has imaging options built in, have you tried simply imaging it and restoring to the new drive, still waiting for intel to get their new ssds out before I install the rtm, so I am not sure if the built in imaging can handle restoring to a different sized drive but it might be worth a shot.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Wonder if Clonezilla works for SSD's? It works great for regular HDDs, using a live CD.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
SSD cloning is no different than cloning a mechanical HD. See my previous post.

Acronis has already stated that their new cloning product will support preserving the alignment. I'm sure others will follow.