Cloning via internal or external connection

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
If this information is covered in the sticky I'm really sorry but I didn't see it.

I have a new EVO 840 SSD. It will be my new system drive (C:). I am going to clone the current HDD C: over with Samsung's Migration tool. The drawn instructions made by Samsung seem to suggest that this is done via a USB-SATA adapter into my computer. Can I not just connect the SSD to the motherboard on a free SATA port and run the migration tool? What is it about an external connection that makes it better than a direct connection on the motherboard?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yes you can connect natively via SATA. External via USB isn't better. It's just easier for most people since the majority of computers sold are laptops and not many laptops have two internal HDD bays.

Those with desktops will more likely plug internally via SATA. SATA III is nearly twice as fast as USB 3. Even though USB 3 is 625MB/s theoretically, the fastest I've seen benchmarked via USB3-SATA adapter is 255MB/s.

Last edited:

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
Yes you can connect natively via SATA. External via USB isn't better. It's just easier for most people since the majority of computers sold are laptops and not many laptops have two internal HDD bays.

Those with desktops will more likely plug internally via SATA. SATA III is nearly twice as fast as USB 3. Even though USB 3 is 625MB/s theoretically, the fastest I've seen benchmarked via USB3-SATA adapter is 255MB/s.
Thanks, I thought so. I just realised other people I had asked also assumed I was doing this on something other than a desktop. I've got 2 2.5" bays free, 2 SATA-III ports free on a desktop I made myself which I guess is something not so many people do.

h9826790

Apr 19, 2014
Personally, I prefer to transfer data internally, just feeling more secure.

Anyway, agree razel that you can clone via SATA - SATA rather than USB - SATA.