Question Cloning from SATA to NVME

retab12332

May 7, 2020
How to clone my M.2 WD SATA ssd to a WD_BLACK SN850X Gen 4 PCIe ssd. I could not find the NVME driver.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Auto launching a driver for a drive isn't something an enclosure would do. The os is where the driver needs to be. Clonezilla is a lightweight version of Linux which has the current drivers for disks. I've used it with multiple NVME drives recently and not a one wasn't detected or cloned.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
So the drive does not appear in BIOS or Windows after installing it? What motherboard are you using? And which m.2 slot are you installing the drive?

retab12332

May 7, 2020
So the drive does not appear in BIOS or Windows after installing it? What motherboard are you using? And which m.2 slot are you installing the drive?
I click on the drive during BOOT, but windows does not boot up. ASUS Z690-A. Its on a slot that supports PCIe 4.0 x4. I tried all the slots already.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Did you remove the SATA drive after you cloned it?

If you cloned an existing UEFI drive it also copied the GPT UUID's associated with it and will cause a conflict until you remove the SATA drive or blow away the partition table and generate new UUID's for it. A quick fix would be booting into Linux from a USB drive and using gparted to change the drive properties / remove / change the UUID info to make it readable form UEFI to boot to Windows.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
The cloning works but since the source is SATA, i guess its not compatible with NVME. It just wont boot. The files are there. Is there a software that does this automatically like how the SAMSUNG DATA MIGRATION does it.
What software did you use to clone it? Did you disconnect the SATA drive as Tech Junky mentioned?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Reconnect the SATA drive, leave the NVME installed and boot into Windows. Go to disk management and share a screenshot of your drives.

retab12332

May 7, 2020
Reconnect the SATA drive, leave the NVME installed and boot into Windows. Go to disk management and share a screenshot of your drives.
All partitions are cloned. No other drives are connected. Is there any WD software that has NVME driver ? What if people want to clone from HDD ? Then all their data are screwed ??

Last edited: