clinton tanking in NH

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
pretty surprising... after months of having a double didget lead in New Hampshire, she's practically tied with Obama:

THE NUMBERS - DEMOCRATS (CNN/WMUR)

Hillary Rodham Clinton, 31 percent

Barack Obama, 30 percent

John Edwards, 16 percent

Bill Richardson, 7 percent

___

THE NUMBERS - REPUBLICANS (CNN/WMUR)

Mitt Romney, 32 percent

Rudy Giuliani, 19 percent

John McCain, 19 percent

Mike Huckabee, 9 percent

Ron Paul, 7 percent

After months of leading the Democratic field in New Hampshire, New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton is effectively tied with Illinois Sen. Barack Obama. Clinton had a 14-point lead in the same poll last month. Television talk show star Oprah Winfrey held big campaign events for Obama while the poll was being conducted, including one in New Hampshire Dec. 9. Among Republicans, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has been surging in Iowa and nationally, but remains in single digits in New Hampshire. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney has a 13-point lead over his nearest rivals, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Arizona Sen. John McCain.

http://ap.google.com/article/A...Cg6Ez87e67L_gD8TG2E800

I feel bad for whoever's in throwing distance of Hillary tonight... she can't be happy about this. I think if Clinton loses both Iowa and New Hampshire, she's done for, even if she picks up Michigan.

Iowa's easy enough to write off, considering Bill Clinton never campaigned there in either election and both Edwards and Obama had preexisting infrastructure within the state, but losing NH would be like yikes, considering Bill's popularity and extensive campaign network there.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Go Obama! Hey, anything is better than Hillary. Though I feel sorry for all those millions of dollars wasted if she loses out. They could have gone to much better causes.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
But what about the other thread which said the "powers that be" had anointed Clinton as our next leader.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Hillary has been too unwilling to take on GWB when GWB was riding high. And her continuing pandering to resolutions shows she just does not get it to me and many others.

There is something to be said for getting it right the first time, something to be said for being able to admit a mistake, and very little to be said about about trying to straddle fences. Hillary is going to have to get much better at taking her case to the American people. I think some earlier assessments are correct, if she gets out polled in quite a few early primaries, Hillary will likely fade fast no matter how much campaign money she has. And given how high Hillary negatives are, the dems may be better off without her heading the ticket.

But on the other hand, if Hillary can get better at taking her message to the American people, and make some principled stands on issues that soon backfire on GWB, Hillary can find that extra gear that no other candidate can match.

Its simply what makes politics so hard to predict. With a fine line between conquering hero and a villain. Its over 9.5 months between now and the democratic convention. Plenty of time to screw around first and still deliver the full term bonus baby in a dynamic democratic choice. Will it be a girl or a boy? The world wonders.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Can you imagine the presidential race headline being the "Mormon versus the Black Guy"?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: MadRat
Can you imagine the presidential race headline being the "Mormon versus the Black Guy"?

You mean the religious nut who wants to create a state religion and the man of faith who believes in separation of church and state, I think.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: MadRat

didn't jesus prophecize that when he visited the native americans on his world tour in the 1600's?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
She's sinking everywhere, not just New Hampshire. Her national lead over Obama is only 8 points now, and it is a dead heat in both NH and SC. In IA, Obama has her by 3 to 5 points.

And she's getting more desperate by the day. Look here. Clinton Camp Targets Obama's Drug Use.

Bring on Obama :thumbsup:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
And Ron Paul's bringing up the rear with 7%...tied with Bill richardson.

Jun 27, 2005
It's not completely unexpected. Polls often tighten up the closer you get to an election. Look at what happened to Howard Dean last time around. I think the surprise is that it's Clinton and all her hype.

And then there's the Oprah factor... :Q

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Pabster
She's sinking everywhere, not just New Hampshire. Her national lead over Obama is only 8 points now, and it is a dead heat in both NH and SC. In IA, Obama has her by 3 to 5 points.

And she's getting more desperate by the day. Look here. Clinton Camp Targets Obama's Drug Use.

Quite frankly, I find Obama's admission of these things heartening. Nothing like breaking free from a problem like this, then having the guts to talk about it. Quite different than the Clintons' tendencies. It's not like people don't do bad things daily.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Anybody else see a bunch of red flags when someone like Pabster, a known defender of Mr Bush and the Republicans and attacker of the Democrats, gives the thumbs up to a Democrat?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha

Anybody else see a bunch of red flags when someone like Pabster, a known defender of Mr Bush and the Republicans and attacker of the Democrats, gives the thumbs up to a Democrat?

No. I think many people really don't want shillary in there and that is that.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

And I've also said many times that if 9/11 becomes the Republican nominee, and Obama becomes the Democratic nominee, I will be voting for Obama. I'm a Conservative first, and a Republican second. No blind loyalty here.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

No. No different than our resident Democrats who wouldn't want to see Rudy get the nomination.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I'm posting this article in its entirety as it requires registration to view.

Clinton apologies to Obama on drug remarks

By John McCormick and Christi Parsons

Tribune staff reporters

5:08 PM CST, December 13, 2007

JOHNSTON, Ia.

Sen. Hillary Clinton apologized to Sen. Barack Obama today for comments made by one of her campaign co-chairs about Obama's self-confessed past drug use.

The morning apology was the start of a conciliatory conversation that continued on the stage of the Democratic presidential candidates' debate this afternoon, where the closest thing to a real difference of opinion was an obscure one over farm subsidies.

The Democrats agreed on the need to fight for human rights, promote American trade and improve on what they see as the failures of President Bush's "No Child Left Behind" act. But none of the candidates was pressed to get into the finer points of those topics.

And afterward, the conversation at the debate site was about spreading news of the apology, and about Bill Shaheen's future as a Clinton campaign official. He announced his resignation Thursday in New Hampshire.

In a statement released by the Clinton campaign, Shaheen said Clinton is running a positive campaign and he does not want to detract from her work on issues important to American families.

"I made a mistake and in light of what happened, I have made the personal decision that I will step down as the Co-Chair of the Hillary for President campaign," he said. "This election is too important and we must all get back to electing the best qualified candidate who has the record of making change happen in this country."

Clinton apologized to Obama on the tarmac of a Washington, D.C. airport, Clinton strategist Mark Penn told reporters this afternoon.

"She said that she apologized," Penn said, "that that was unauthorized and inappropriate and didn't have a place in the campaign."

"From the first moment, she felt this was inappropriate and would not be part of the campaign," Penn said.

In his best-selling memoir "Dreams from My Father," Obama admitted to using marijuana and cocaine when he was a teenager. Shaheen told the Washington Post on Wednesday that he thought Republicans would exploit that issue during the general election.

The issue did not arise during the debate, a polite discussion in which the six Democratic candidates did not disagree much and largely stuck to their own talking points.

The Democrats even came to a warm moment of familial unity during their low-key debate, as the other candidates on stage all rushed to a hearty defense of Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware and his commitment to the country's racial minorities.

"It may be possible that, because I speak so bluntly, that people misunderstand," Biden said hoarsely, responding to a question about some of his foot-in-mouth moments of the recent past.

"Hear, hear," the others called out, bursting into applause. Obama, the only African American on the stage, praised Biden as "on the right side of the issues" on that point.

However, the issue of Shaheen's remarks overshadowed the debate.

David Axelrod, a top aide to Obama, said Obama accepted Clinton's apology, but suggested he didn't let her off the hook easily. "She said she didn't know that this was happening and she was sorry about it, and he accepts that," Axelrod said.

But he also said Obama told Clinton he thinks it's "important for campaigns to send the signal from the very top that this isn't tolerated."

"You cannot say that negative campaigning attacks are the 'fun part' of the campaign and then expect people down the line to take a signal that this isn't okay," Axelrod said, noting the "essence" of their exchange was that "everybody has responsibilities."

Axelrod also said that Obama didn't sell or share drugs.

Clinton Advisor Fired Over Obama Comments

Penn Under Fire As Key States Fade