Clinton supporter sues to keep Obama from being nominated

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Fern
Originally posted by: L00PY
The lawsuit claims that there is an offical BC in the Kenyan hospital where Mrs. Obama lived (his mother) showing Obama was born there. His relatives has supposidly claimed Obama was born in Kenya. etc
I'm confused, when are allegations in a lawsuit evidence of any sort?

Neither you or eskimospy seem familiar with court, law or legal terms etc

"Allegations" are different from "fact". You are confusing terms you are clearly unfamiliar with.

Facts asserted in court are done so in support of an "allegation". Whether or not the allegation is proven (by the facts) is up to the court.

To knowingly assert false claims as facts is purjury, a lawyer cannot lawfully particpate in this. See PA ethics for attorneys Link

Pennsylvania has clearly stated that an attorney may not assist any unlawful or illegal conduct. Office of Disciplinary Counsel v. Campbell (1975); Pa. Eth. Op. 95-110 (1995). The recommended punishment for such conduct is disbarment.

And so forth^ (bounce around the site and make yourself happy. Only a idiot could possibly think you can *make up* false info and represent it as fact and not be guilty of perjury/lying to the court. Be aware that lawyers are sworn "Officers of the Court"; what kind of system allows them to lie as to statements of facts with impunity? That's preposterous.

Berg, an attorney in PA (and former Asst AG) is familiar with, and subject to, these rules.

While we in the *laymens world* may believe (and sometimes with good reason I will admit) think lawyers lie, they cannot (or are prohibited from) knowingly submit false info as "facts" to the court. Now, they may take these facts and twist them for their client's benefit, but they cannot outright lie to the courts; if they do so and are caught it's perjury (disbarment and/or jail time)

You guys are accusing this attorney (a former AG) of outright lying to the court. IDK, he may be, but I think you have some burden of proof if you wish to dismiss his professional claims out-of-hand and lable him worthy of disbarment/jail.

Read his court filing and the included claims of proof he's ready to submit to the court; he need not provide you the proof, but IMO the court(s) should examine it as we have no (so far) demonstrable and/or serious system for acertaining a candidates' qualifications for office.

Part of this may arise from my professional background as a CPA; this flimsy/lame crap would never fly in the accounting world where peoples' money is at stake. The burden of proof on us is far greater. That strikes me as wrong given the seriousness of such a high office.

Just because some gov dept says something doesn't make it so without verification. I have posted many times that my non-citizen wife was entered as a registered voter here in the US by the DMV despite her protestations to the contrary. And just earlier tonight I saw a segment on the news where others have been as well. They were found out through a *routine* voter fraud investigation when the voter roles were cross-checked and consequently they were discovered; they're getting deported because they actually voted etc. These things are not unusual, you're often talking about minimum wage, untrained people processing paperwork and inputting stuff in databases. When it becomes important, it needs to be verified ("audited" is the term in my *world*)

Like I said, we aren't allowed to rely on such flimsy *proof* (and dang I hate to use that word in this context) in my profession. I don't see why we should here when reasonable doubt exists (if his mother had never left the country this wouldn't even be a question, but no one disputes that she did, and was out-of-country while pregnant etc).

The burden of proof is upon the candidate, inspite of your desires to the contrary. What's the f'n problem with him producing an original? You guys wouldn't let this fly if it was a *GWB question*, but somehow it's OK here?

Fern
Well Fern, when it comes down to it, I don't think you will find any law that prevents him from running for the office. Holding the office is a different story. There is language in the 20th admendment that addresses the scenerio, if he fails to qualify for the office.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'll just go over this once more. Obama has met or exceeded the standard demanded as proof of citizenship for all other candidates. Because one guy in Pennsylvania filed a lawsuit that was later dismissed as frivolous and has made random, unsubstantiated claims, the burden of proof is once again on Obama to go even farther in his proof of citizenship.

With that in mind I will immediately be filing several lawsuits against John McCain saying that he is not an American, is a sex offender, and had Osama Bin Laden over to dinner last night. Sure I won't have submitted any 'evidence', but who cares?

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
Read his court filing and the included claims of proof he's ready to submit to the court; he need not provide you the proof, but IMO the court(s) should examine it as we have no (so far) demonstrable and/or serious system for acertaining a candidates' qualifications for office.
Are you kidding me? You'd think that my having provided a link to court filings in an earlier post might have been a slight clue as to what I knew about the case.

Berg's arguments based on different versions of Wikipedia entries aside, here are some of the exhibits Berg used in his court case (from filing 13 in Berg v. Obama et al):

Exhibit 1: An Obama + half-sister interview in a newsletter from a Hawaii K-12 school.
Exhibit 2: An Obama half-sister interview in the Star Bulletin.
Exhibit 3: A statement from a journalist claiming a research team went to Kenya.
Exhibit 4: A copy of "Barry Soetoro"'s school registration (verified by the television show Inside Edition as Berg makes sure to point out in his filing).
Exhibit 5: A SF Gate article by an AP reporter.
Exhibits 6 & 7: Letters from agencies saying they can't release Obama's private information without his consent.

Wow. Earth shattering. Berg actually has a statement from a journalist who says a team went to Kenya and "located a Certificate Registering the birth of Barack Obama, Jr." (Berg's description and capitalization, not mine.)

Never mind that there isn't a copy of it attached as evidence. Never mind that there isn't a photo of it attached as evidence. Never mind that the team members aren't named. Never mind that Berg never claims to have seen this certificate. Never mind that Berg never says he talked to anyone from that team. Never mind that it doesn't specify that it's a government certificate. Never mind that it doesn't even specify that it's even a birth certificate. Never mind the fact that registration of births in Kenya wasn't even compulsory back then and wouldn't be for more than a decade after Obama's birth.

It must be clear to conspiracy theorists that Ann Dunham, despite having just given birth in Kenya, despite her rush to get back to the US and perpetrate this fraud of her son's birth place, she still managed to locate an office of the Kenyan Department of the Registrar General, wait in line, and pay a fee to have Obama's birth registered, all before flying back to Hawaii.

Berg's use of Wikipedia entries, K-12 school newsletters, and statements from journalists clearly make a convincing case. The old adage about pro se counsel and their client sure looks true here.

[edit for rhetorical effect]

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
This is my favorite part:

WND reported earlier this week Berg's claim that Obama has legally "admitted" the accusations included in his lawsuit, including that he was born in Mombosa, Kenya, by not responding to the allegations.

WELL if he didn't respond, he must be guilty, amirite?!?!?

Good Christ - on a scale of 1 to Tammy Faye Baker, how crazy do you have to be to believe this stuff?

Berg is a little off with that comment. But, I should remind you that Berg is a admitted liberal democrat, ex-attorney general for PA (I believe) and has said repeatedly that he will go away if someone, anyone can provide a birth certificate, not a birth announcement like they had in Hawaii, but an actual birth certificate. So far, none has been provided.

Obama's already produced a birth certificate. WTF are you talking about? You sound as confused as Savage is.

http://www.politifact.com/medi...ics/birthCertObama.jpg

why is the document number blacked out?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
This is my favorite part:

WND reported earlier this week Berg's claim that Obama has legally "admitted" the accusations included in his lawsuit, including that he was born in Mombosa, Kenya, by not responding to the allegations.

WELL if he didn't respond, he must be guilty, amirite?!?!?

Good Christ - on a scale of 1 to Tammy Faye Baker, how crazy do you have to be to believe this stuff?

Berg is a little off with that comment. But, I should remind you that Berg is a admitted liberal democrat, ex-attorney general for PA (I believe) and has said repeatedly that he will go away if someone, anyone can provide a birth certificate, not a birth announcement like they had in Hawaii, but an actual birth certificate. So far, none has been provided.

Obama's already produced a birth certificate. WTF are you talking about? You sound as confused as Savage is.

http://www.politifact.com/medi...ics/birthCertObama.jpg

To keep suspicion alive. I've seen the number in other photos. Maybe a privacy issue.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Anyway, how's the suit coming along. Do we have a trial date yet?

MoonBEAM!! :)

It's been dismissed!! Please don't drag this out any longer. It's so painful to see some of the posts in this thread. I want to start shipping people to outer space....The stupidity of the human race boggles the mind. Dogs are smarter...I'm certain.

-Robert

L00PY

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2001
From the factcheck.org investigation:
We asked the Obama campaign about the date stamp and the blacked-out certificate number. The certificate is stamped June 2007, because that's when Hawaii officials produced it for the campaign, which requested that document and "all the records we could get our hands on" according to spokesperson Shauna Daly. The campaign didn't release its copy until 2008, after speculation began to appear on the Internet questioning Obama's citizenship. The campaign then rushed to release the document, and the rush is responsible for the blacked-out certificate number. Says Shauna: "[We] couldn't get someone on the phone in Hawaii to tell us whether the number represented some secret information, and we erred on the side of blacking it out. Since then we've found out it's pretty irrelevant for the outside world." The document we looked at did have a certificate number; it is 151 1961 - 010641.

That page also debunks conspiracy theorists that it was a forgery because people couldn't see a raised seal (photos show that it does), that it was a photoshop due to halos around the text (no halos in higher res pictures), and that it didn't have folds (clearly folded when seen at the right angles).

Of course once those have been settled, they move onto the next set of conspiracy theories, which in turn get debunked. Ad nauseam.

mooseracing

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
Originally posted by: chess9

It's been dismissed!! Please don't drag this out any longer. It's so painful to see some of the posts in this thread. I want to start shipping people to outer space....The stupidity of the human race boggles the mind. Dogs are smarter...I'm certain.

-Robert

If it was such a small thing and not a problem, why did the lawyers drag it out for so long? Why didn't Hawaii unlock the records?

It put's a seed of doubt in everyones head. I thought the guy said he would take it to SCOTUS though.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Mentioned in the factcheck.org article. The Obama campaign initially blacked it out because they didn't know if the number was some sort of personal identification that shouldn't be disclosed, and they wanted to release it ASAP. Later on they found out the number doesn't mean much and so in factcheck's pictures it is legible.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

-Robert

Sorry. I didn't make the mistake you did and read what anybody said. But I don't get so upset with the stupid because I'm stupid too. I know it was dismissed but I was sure the fools would try to take it higher. I was kind of curious. ;)

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: mooseracing

-Robert

If it was such a small thing and not a problem, why did the lawyers drag it out for so long? Why didn't Hawaii unlock the records?

It put's a seed of doubt in everyones head. I thought the guy said he would take it to SCOTUS though.
He did (Obama) Couldn't ever get any big fish to bite on this little scheme he hatched.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Ozoned
Originally posted by: mooseracing

-Robert

He did (Obama) Couldn't ever get any big fish to bite on this little scheme he hatched.

Some Native American is blocking me from getting that page.