Clinton, Obama: We will renegotiate NAFTA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm wondering, with the US dollar turning into a value similar to used toilet paper, isn't that about the worse damn time to cancel NAFTA because the US manufacturing/exports should be going up by themselves at this point?

Great depression
Frantic attempts to shore up the economies of individual nations through protectionist policies, like the 1930 U.S. Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act and retaliatory tariffs in other countries, helped to strangle global trade.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I'm a big supporter of free trade and this is one of the few areas where I disagree with Obama.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Well Either Obama is flat lying about his stance on NAFTA or his adviser is out of control;

After one of the recent Democratic debates, I suggested that Barack Obama's campaign appears well on its way to becoming one of the most intellectually dishonest in recent memory. That was after Obama pledged to combat illegal immigration by helping to fix the Mexican economy, while simultaneously pledging to pull out of NAFTA unless Mexico agrees to U.S. environmental and labor standards.

Now we learn that, while Obama campaigns in Ohio on a platform of renegotiating NAFTA, one of his senior economic advisers is telling Canada that Obama doesn't really mean it. According to this report from CTV, the adviser (Austan Goolsbee) told the Canadian Consulate General in Chicago that when Senator Obama talks about opting out of the free trade deal, the Canadian government shouldn't worry because it was just campaign rhetoric not to be taken seriously.

Looking like this is they way it really is;

HOPE = Campaign rhetoric not to be taken seriously

CHANGE = Campaign rhetoric not to be taken seriously

OBAMA = Demagogue that needs to be taken very seriously

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Immigrants are working as slave in conditions reminiscent to the indentured servitude of the 1700's until the formation of Big Labor during the early 1900's. These illegals are being treated like dogs by employers paying them chicken scraps and shacking them up 20-30 illegals to a house owned by the employer. This shit needs to stop. Its no wonder Caucasian and Black Americans are feeling the squeeze; the latter groups put down that bullshit and it is no longer socially acceptable behavior by companies. Don't think its just big business taking advantage of these illegals, its to the point where they've taken over the menial labor damn near across the board. What are the alcoholics and drug abusers of our society supposed to do for income if there is no meaningful jobs for them?

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Originally posted by: MadRat
Immigrants are working as slave in conditions reminiscent to the indentured servitude of the 1700's until the formation of Big Labor during the early 1900's. These illegals are being treated like dogs by employers paying them chicken scraps and shacking them up 20-30 illegals to a house owned by the employer. This shit needs to stop. Its no wonder Caucasian and Black Americans are feeling the squeeze; the latter groups put down that bullshit and it is no longer socially acceptable behavior by companies. Don't think its just big business taking advantage of these illegals, its to the point where they've taken over the menial labor damn near across the board. What are the alcoholics and drug abusers of our society supposed to do for income if there is no meaningful jobs for them?

Here's another perspective. For many of these "illegals", the "shit" is much better than what their lives would be like if they were still in their home countries -- otherwise they wouldn't have come here and many more would still like to come here. I'm not saying that there aren't cases where their are abuses (and we should stop these abuses when we discover them) but to imply that all "illegals" are being treated as slaves is a ridiculous notion.

My parents came from China and worked really hard long hours at Chinese restaurants with minimal pay for over 25 years. They saved and saved until they were able to buy their own restaurant and fulfill the American dream. Because of my life experience, I just don't buy this idea that we are treating all "illegals" as dogs with no hope of ever bettering their lives.

Also, do you really think that once all "illegals" are gone that our alcoholics and drug abusers will gladly work behind a Taco Bell and serve you food? Do you really want resentful people serving you fast food? I'll be afraid of them spitting or pissing in my food because they are bitter about having to work this type of work.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: blahblah99
NAFTA will be a thing of the past when the North American Union forms in the next few decades.

That ain't gonna happen.

Most Canadians like being friendly with the US, but only to a point. We like having neighbours, but don't really want a roommate.

And the fence along the US/Mexico border doesn't bode well for the formation of a union. They tried that in Europe and they unified 10 years after that fence came down.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: StormRider
Also, do you really think that once all "illegals" are gone that our alcoholics and drug abusers will gladly work behind a Taco Bell and serve you food? Do you really want resentful people serving you fast food? I'll be afraid of them spitting or pissing in my food because they are bitter about having to work this type of work.

You must of watched Clerks 2.