Clinton lied, Bush didn't

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
"Come on man....what a tired old line. 12 years was long enough to let inspections work."

They did work. They found nothing, nothing was there. As long as you feel better killing Iraqis over 9/11. Some of us understand foreign policy better than "Them arabs attacked us, kill the arabs!"

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Oh, Iraq has more than clouded the vision. It has shattered the crystal ball.

And, btw, if you've ever read or seen any interviews with Clinton, he did not agree with the aggressive tendencies of those in the PNAC to willingly use our military to effect change.

Clinton was for diplomacy and inspections first.
Maybe that was because Clinton "loathed" the military. Of course he never seemed to have a problem lobbing cruise missiles around in a so called show of force. That is one of the core problems that led to our not being taken seriously by our enemies. You do something to us and maybe, just maybe we will lob a Tomahawk your way. It should be...you do something to us and we are going to use every means available to make sure you can't do it again. Half ass is no way to fight a war or use the military. That is what got us into trouble in Vietnam, Somalia, and Bosnia. If you are going to use the military against an enemy then use them. Unleash the full fury of the forces you have available. That is my one problem with the way things were handled in Iraq. We should have had more ground troops available from day 1. Of course Turkey F'ing us over was a large contributor to us missing a large portion of the forces we intended to use. Inspections? Come on man....what a tired old line. 12 years was long enough to let inspections work.
Remember...it was a Republican-controlled Congress from 1995-2000. You want to put the blame on Clinton? Who was sending him budget bills to sign? And, Rumsfeld has had plans to lessen the number of troops even more but is now putting those on hold due to the aggressive military policies of this administration.

As for inspections, yes, they were working. David Kay has stated that many, many weapons and components were destroyed during the inspection process of the 1990s. Many more than were destroyed during the 1991 Gulf War.

When inspections had been restarted before the Bush invasion, inspectors were not finding anything despite being told where to go by US intelligence. They did uncover some missiles that slightly exceeded distance limits and Iraq began to destroy those but Bush pulled the inspectors out before his scam could be exposed.

Huh? This has nothing to do with the reduction in size of the military. Good grief. Way to try and confuse the issue. What I was talking about is using the means at your disposal to make sure the job is done right, not half assed.

Yes inspections were working, but they were not 100%....all you have to do is read the stories about the games the Iraqis were playing with the inspectors. Heck...one of Hussein's sons was put in charge of the official program of hiding the weapons from the UN.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Todd33
"Come on man....what a tired old line. 12 years was long enough to let inspections work."

They did work. They found nothing, nothing was there. As long as you feel better killing Iraqis over 9/11. Some of us understand foreign policy better than "Them arabs attacked us, kill the arabs!"
Did I mention 9/11 you troll?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
So conjur....ever going to answer my question? Which question? Well this one from a few posts back.

Ahhh yes....the whole illegal war rant. Interesting...I seem to recall you supporting the war in the beginning. You were even using that as one of your so called credentials to show you are a "real" conservative in another recent thread here. Hmmmmmmm.........interesting little flip flop you got going on. So you supported it before you were against it. Hmmmmm.....who does that sound like? SO conjur. Which is it? Did you support a "pre-emptive invasion and occupation of a sovereign nation" or did you not? If you did you must be a neocon by using the very logic you have been arguing with in this thread.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I've stated before I supported the war although I had my doubts. I never blindly supported the war. I sought reasons for justifications and found them in Colin Powell's remarks to the UN. I also put my trust in the President that he was telling us the ungarnished truth.

I was deceived.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I've stated before I supported the war although I had my doubts. I never blindly supported the war. I sought reasons for justifications and found them in Colin Powell's remarks to the UN. I also put my trust in the President that he was telling us the ungarnished truth.

I was deceived.
Thanks for the answer.

:thumbsup:

I don't agree with you a lot...A LOT....of the time....but you seem to be sincere and don't go off all 1/2 cocked like a lot of people here.