Clinton gave China Nuclear Technology

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: rahvin
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Originally posted by: Pennstate
AEB, I don't think I have ever seen a conservative here criticize the "conservative media".

I critically read a wide range of publications (from THe Nation to Weeklystandard to national review, to washointontimes, to TNR.) I find them helpful in formulating my beliefs. I do however stay away from tabloid journalism like worldnetdaily, commondreams, democraticunderground etc.

The Nation IS a tabloid! ;) Sorry, but its ideological bent is so far to the left that I cannot stomach to read anything on there.

There's no question that China is an adversary, though I don't see it so much as ideological as regional dominance (we have great influence, they want to replace us). Nevertheless, I personally think China is treading a fine line with a hardline government encouraging economic reform which is nearly destined to create demand for more politcal freedom. In order to maintain a thriving economy, they must encourage "Western" economic freedoms but in doing so they risk igniting political activism, which surely still exists since the sentiments behind Tiananmen (sp?) were hardly confined to those who took part (and they aren't all gone).

China is going to be very interesting, especially if North Korea disappears in a decade or so since they can't hang on forever.

I believe China knows exactly that their economic reforms will result in democracy eventually. The problem they face is that in many parts of the country the situtation is still very third worldish. As the economy booms and the wealth spreads they will be able to loosen central control. They are trying to avoid the rampant problems of full industrialization that the west went through. This is coupled with the fact that their industrilization is occuring in 1/4 of the timeframe of the western world.

yup, workers are already striking and others protesting lack of jobs thanks to capitalist reforms. these aren't covered because its illegal to film protests in china i think. to slim down and to become competitive the make work jobs were eliminated. real communists are a tad tiffed right now you see. being unemployed makes you that way. and yes, rich and poor gap grows. official line of communism is starting to look funny.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Bigdude
Originally posted by: Pepsei
We need a president that would crush/prevent the Chinese aggression.
That man is George W Bush
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

While he gives them more than $1 billion per day in trade deficit...

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
China will be too busy trying to save it's own ass in the future to be a threat to us. The 3 Gorges Dam project, once completed, will put millions of Chinese on death's door - and that's just from the initial destruction of the dam breaking (and break it will), millions more will die from disease and starvation after the event.
As if rural Chinese didn't have it hard enough already... :(

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: kage69
China will be too busy trying to save it's own ass in the future to be a threat to us. The 3 Gorges Dam project, once completed, will put millions of Chinese on death's door - and that's just from the initial destruction of the dam breaking (and break it will), millions more will die from disease and starvation after the event.

Maybe they are building it for population control ;)
If that thing breaks, those in the path won't have a Chinaman's chance. :D

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: kage69

And why in your expert opinion is the dam going to break?