Clinton and Dole Discuss Iraq, Economy

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
http://www.foxnews.com.edgesuite.net/story/0,2933,101389,00.html

WASHINGTON ? The United Nations (search) should take responsibility for Iraq's security, with NATO forces front and center in keeping the peace, former President Clinton (search) said Monday.

But Clinton said the United States, while needing broader international support, cannot simply leave Iraq.
While acknowledging critics of President Bush who insisted the United States should not have invaded Iraq, his predecessor said: "We can't just walk away from this."

Clinton spoke in a discussion at the Kennedy Center with his 1996 Republican challenger, former Sen. Bob Dole (search) of Kansas. The event happened to follow the bloodiest day in Baghdad since the start of the U.S. occupation, with three dozen people dead and hundreds hurt in a series of attacks.

Clinton picked his words carefully, as ex-presidents usually do when commenting on the foreign policy crises of their successors. But he made clear he sided with fellow Democrats who have urged a greater role for other countries in Iraq's security and rebuilding.

"I wish that the United Nations had overall responsibility for the security and ask NATO be the instrument," he said. "We need to spread this and have it be more international."

Even so, "We just can't leave Iraq."

Dole said violence against U.S. forces and their allies in Iraq is meant to undermine Bush at home.

"I wish it weren't occurring in an election year," he said, referring to the campaign cycle leading into the 2004 presidential election. "It's always easy blaming the president."

Clinton appeared to cut Bush some slack on the nation's economic troubles, even though they are a fat target for Democratic presidential candidates. "A lot of what happened the last two to three years would have happened no matter what," he said.

Democratic hopefuls have been piling blame on Bush and insisting they could carry forward the Clinton-era boom.

But Clinton said "there is no real cause for pessimism" about the state of the nation and the world. "And I get tired of reading these articles about how voters are cynical. It's a cheap cop-out."

"On balance, the last 14 years, we're not doing that bad," Clinton said.

Although their appearance was billed as a debate, Clinton and Dole traded more quips than barbs. Dole gave Clinton a bottle of Grecian Formula for his gray hair and his book on presidential wit which he hoped Clinton would put in his presidential library.

Their wives, Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and Elizabeth Dole, R-N.C., introducing each other's husband, also joined in the banter.

Elizabeth Dole said that while the two wives were busy discussing legislation and the day's business, their husbands were talking about their favorite frozen dinners.

Later, Clinton said: "I'm grateful both our wives came tonight. It was nice to see them."

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
reminds me of the simpsons:

Kodos: It's true, we are aliens. But what are you going to do about it? It's a two-party system; you have to vote for one of us.
[murmurs]
Man1: He's right, this is a two-party system.
Man2: Well, I believe I'll vote for a third-party candidate.
Kang: Go ahead, throw your vote away. [Kang and Kodos laugh out loud]
Marge: I don't understand why we have to build a ray gun to aim at a planet I never even heard of.
Homer: Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Just showing how irrelevant either of their opinions are. Maybe we can find a transcript and not Fuhr...er Fox news.