Clint Eastwood on Gay Marriage: 'I don't give a f***'

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
"These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage?" Eastwood opined. "I don't give a fuck about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We're making a big deal out of things we shouldn't be making a deal out of."

"They go on and on with all this bullshit about 'sanctity' -- don't give me that sanctity crap! Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want."

Although he is a registered Republican, Eastwood doesn't consider himself a conservative. He has supported California's former Democratic Gov. Gray Davis and Democratic Rep. Sam Farr.

"I was an Eisenhower Republican when I started out at 21, because he promised to get us out of the Korean War," he told GQ. "And over the years, I realized there was a Republican philosophy that I liked. And then they lost it. And libertarians had more of it. Because what I really believe is, let's spend a little more time leaving everybody alone."
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/09/14/clint-eastwood-i-dont-give-a-fck-if-gays-marry/

It's not a good sign if the embodiment of the Angry White Man thinks you're full of shit on an important wedge issue.

GoodBlondie1.jpg

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
"I was an Eisenhower Republican when I started out at 21, because he promised to get us out of the Korean War," he told GQ. "And over the years, I realized there was a Republican philosophy that I liked. And then they lost it. And libertarians had more of it. Because what I really believe is, let's spend a little more time leaving everybody alone."

Amen brother! :thumbsup:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Intelligent people realize that most people are two things, assholes and fools, stupid but arrogant, in other words. So intelligent people realize also that it's best that other people stay our of their way. Nobody who has a brain wants idiots telling them what is good for them.

But intelligence has another side. Sometimes intelligence is pared with heart. Some intelligent folk see that other people suffer and that they need help. This is a dilemma because in order to help people who may need it, one has to interfere. So the best way to do this is to help them but tell them to go fuck themselves. You have to help people in a way they don't recognize it as help. People hate themselves and are therefore defensively full of moronic pride so you have to make them feel that they helped themselves. Political parties can never do this. They don't have the brains. Half of the population is below average in intelligence.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Like Mr. Eastwood, I really don't just a f*** what the gays do or don't do. If they want to have a civil union great, but don't call it marriage. It's not. Oh, yes, I know want to know about your sex life. Please have a bit of character and class, keep it private. Thank you.

Oct 16, 1999
I like how "who gives a fuck about the civil rights of others" is somehow a moderate stance to take. It is a big deal, it's just the wrong people are making it one.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Like Mr. Eastwood, I really don't just a f*** what the gays do or don't do. If they want to have a civil union great, but don't call it marriage. It's not. Oh, yes, I know want to know about your sex life. Please have a bit of character and class, keep it private. Thank you.

Why not call it marriage, if you don't give a fuck?

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Why not call it marriage, if you don't give a fuck?

Because words have, or use to have, meaning.

Why not just call it a Cockpit......as in "I now pronounce you pilot and pilot". The they could go around saying they were pilots. Sound good to me. Words have no meaning so why not.

Party guest: Are you two a couple?

Steve: Why yes, Bruce and I are a Cockpit. We have been pilots together for two years now.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Better solution: government get the fuck out of marriage. No marriage for anyone.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Why not just call it a Cockpit......as in "I now pronounce you pilot and pilot". The they could go around saying they were pilots. Sound good to me. Words have no meaning so why not.

Steve: Why yes, Bruce and I are a Cockpit. We have been pilots together for two years now.

Or we could just call it marriage.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

Are you trying to tell us something here? :confused: :awe:

I digress, the meanings of words change, as they have throughout history.
Edit: They don't call it a cockpit anymore, if I remember correctly the term used now is "Flight Deck". *Shrug*

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Barney: I do not support this!
James: What? Gay marriage?
Barney: No, Marriage!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Good question. There is no good answer. I for one value your op[inion more than I do his.
allthefucks.jpg

don't get me wrong, I'm pro-gay marriage.

I'm just anti-caring what celebrities think about politics... but if he wants to donate a few million dollars to the cause, then maybe he can say something.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Better solution: government get the fuck out of marriage. No marriage for anyone.

I like the idea of the government staying out of everyone's sex life and personal relationships, however, legally the States are envolved.....for better or worse.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010

No you obviously do not agree with Mr Eastwood and do actually give a fuck. You give a fuck if gays call it marriage.

You know why I dont care? Because what two people call something else doesnt dilute my marriage (not that I am married, talking future tense) or make it less sacred. I think thats the exact definition of dont give you a fuck - you dont care what other people think or say about something important to you, in this case marriage.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Or separate the religious/church aspects of marriage from the contractual/government aspects of marriage. We could mandate marriage licenses be signed in the presence of a Judge and both parties affirm they understand the contractual rights and obligations they're entering into. This could be combined with a religious ceremony or not.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
We could mandate marriage licenses be signed in the presence of a Judge and both parties affirm they understand the contractual rights and obligations they're entering into.

A license is a permit to do something that would otherwise be illegal - fishing license, hunting license, drivers license,,,,,.

If something is a "right" you do not need a license - such as go to church or vote.

Why do we need marriage licenses at all?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
No you obviously do not agree with Mr Eastwood and do actually give a fuck. You give a fuck if gays call it marriage.

You know why I dont care? Because what two people call something else doesnt dilute my marriage (not that I am married, talking future tense) or make it less sacred. I think thats the exact definition of dont give you a fuck - you dont care what other people think or say about something important to you, in this case marriage.

:thumbsup:

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
Marriage is a legal contract between two people regarding assets and liabilities. That's it. That's it as far as the state is concerned. The state doesn't give a shit whether you love each other or not. They have nothing to do with the "happiness" factor.

So why can the state somehow deny a gay couple equal rights regarding assets and liabilities?

Let people get married - straight and gay. The state should support their legal rights regarding property and stop meddling in it. All they're doing now is using it as a wedge issue to confuse voters and distract them from real and pressing issues.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
allthefucks.jpg

don't get me wrong, I'm pro-gay marriage.

I'm just anti-caring what celebrities think about politics... but if he wants to donate a few million dollars to the cause, then maybe he can say something.

You make a fair point. Someone being a movie star is kind of irrelevant to the validity of his or her opinion. It isn't any different than anyone else.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
A license is a permit to do something that would otherwise be illegal - fishing license, hunting license, drivers license,,,,,.

If something is a "right" you do not need a license - such as go to church or vote.

Why do we need marriage licenses at all?

you don't, but it sure does help when one or the other dies. or for taxes. it's conclusive evidence.