Clint Eastwood: America run by a bunch of teenage twits

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
As much as I admire eastwood, his life works and his town in cali, my respect for him has moderated somewhat since he claims to have voted for palin in the last election.

A vote against obama was unfortunately a vote for palin. So I will still hold him in high regard.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Who the fuck cares what Clint thinks? I think he sounds like a bitter old man.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
It's easy enough to say that people just shout at each other across the aisle. You've got ideologues on both sides, and there's never going to be a meeting of minds. What's Clint's solution - kill all the extremists?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It's easy enough to say that people just shout at each other across the aisle. You've got ideologues on both sides, and there's never going to be a meeting of minds. What's Clint's solution - kill all the extremists?

Being civil when you disagree?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
I subscribe to GQ as well and also read the article. I came away thinking, "What a cool guy," but really his positions aren't all that well thought out or enlightening.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I'm liberal, but I have to agree with his views - at least partially. I'm not sure the "guys who won world war II" had better ideas than the modern political system, but I do agree discourse has descended into petty personal attacks for most part.

Oh they had great ideas like locking up any Japanese american citizens. You know, real racial equality stuff.

The greatest generation was great and all, but every generation thinks back to the good old days which never really existed. You want to hear whining and screaming? Try setting the upper income bracket at 85% like it was during WWII.

(and didn't Clint and Spike Lee recently get into a months long juvenile feud?)

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
I would agree that he is correct to a point.

I feel that everyone just wants to attack each other, instead of work together. Everyone is out for themselves. I see this everywhere, from online video games to political candidates speaking out against something, only to do something opposite and for their own good.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
People also overestimate the decorum of previous years. Joe McCarthy was alive during those 'greatest generation' years.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
People also overestimate the decorum of previous years. Joe McCarthy was alive during those 'greatest generation' years.
Politics has always been nasty. Look at S. Korea. At least we don't have duels anymore...although...

But I think two party systems are more polarizing. Hate to say it, but we should be more like Europe in that regards.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Isn't this just another version of "young people today..."? With the democratization of media we seem more stupid things and people on tv / interwebs but we also seem some smarter things as well.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I like how people on here are already proving 'ol Clint right.

It's rather amusing and amazing, the topic and our agreement.

Yes, civility between us has broken down. Not entirely, as I do not see widespread violence, but it's incredible that amidst shutting out dissent that we have not yet devolved to it.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Isn't this just another version of "young people today..."? With the democratization of media we seem more stupid things and people on tv / interwebs but we also seem some smarter things as well.
I agree. It sounds like an old woman wringing her hands. I'd rather put up with the stupid shit that comes with the occasional brilliance. I'm becoming convinced that the people bad-mouthing the 'new' media are upset because some of it goes against their agendas or are defending their jobs.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
As an epilogue, I'll briefly bump this thread to post a statement by Clint Eastwood, the damner of unnecessary inflammatory rhetoric, who, while running for mayor of Carmel California, was asked about his position on an ordinance restricting homes from adding a second kitchen, the Venerable One, calm and measured in poise and tone, in his infinite wisdom, patience, and maturity, stated:

"If you've read that ordinance it's like Adolf Hitler knocking on your door."

Thanks Clint for showing us the way.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Looking back now on so many of those movies produced in amerika!
The dirty harry shit, his italian produced cowboy and war movies where greater then most out of Hollywood for its day , compared to other countries movies of the same era, they seem all sales pitched to get the box office returns- a cold war fad- mostly un-timeless... all just usa is the greatest place on earth con....whereas you see the others stuff carries more weight thru time.
You wanna look at real bolloxed up hero, look no further then our tazzy lad Errol Flynn, he in aussieland! shitcvnts!

Are you illiterate, or just drunk?