Client Mode?

parieira

Feb 19, 2007
Hi guys, I have a dilemma I hope you guys can help me out with.

My house has 2 Desktop PCs, 2 laptops, and 1 awful iMac. I have setup the DSL, and can connect the whole house to the internet by having the Mac connect to router via ethernet and the PCs through wireless.

The problem is that I want to connect one of the desktops to the router directly, because connecting wirelessly makes my Counter-strike crap, getting what seems to be packet loss every minute or so, skipping a bunch of frames, or lagging behind.

I tried looking into getting a wireless card for the mac. At the apple store they offered to install one in for 150 dollars... ridiculous. I looked for an external internet adapter but didn't have a lot of luck finding a cheap one, so by reading around I thought the best thing would be to use client mode, or connect a second router wireless to the first, just so that it can connect with the Mac downstairs via ethernet.

I have a Westell B90-327W15-06, and a Linksys BEFW11S4v4. Both of them don't seem to support client mode, correct?

My first question is: Is there any other apparent solution that I don't know about that will cost me 50 US$ or less? Can I make these two routers connect to each other wirelessly somehow?

If not, then I was thinking of buying a new router with client mode capability. The WRT54G seems like a good choice from what I've been reading. I would buy that and then install the firmware from http://www.dd-wrt.com/. Good idea?

The whole point of this thread is to ask if anyone else has a better idea to make it work with what I have now, and if not, is installing the firmware and setting up client mode easy? Would I have a problem doing it with my current setup + buying a WRT54G?

Thanks a billion.

parieira

Feb 19, 2007
I heard it's a big hassle to flash it due to encrypted firmware. Is it a lot harder to flash?

Thanks

Madwand1

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2006
Read the instructions on the DD-WRT site, and decide for yourself if it's too much of a hassle.

The current WRT54G are not recommended, but the WRT54GL would be a good choice.

Client bridge mode is pretty easy to set up one you understand the basics of what you're doing. Getting the firmware set up is the only really tricky part that you shouldn't mess up.

There are guides for doing the client mode setup. And once it's set up, it's pretty much plug & play.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Well to make a decision, Flash or pay about $60 more and get a Router that has it out of the box.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: parieira
I heard it's a big hassle to flash it due to encrypted firmware. Is it a lot harder to flash?

Thanks

theyre amazingly easy. its a hassle if you try to get the "timing" right when you power it up and try to use tftp. on my first one, i power cycled the bastard a number of times trying to get it to sync and upload the firmware

use the alternate instructions a bit lower on the same page that tell you to use the default settings button. ive done 3 and after figuring that out with the first one, the next 2 were simple :)

prep tftp, power router on, hold default button, engage tftp, release default button. "timing" is for suckers ;)

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
You are probably too young to know.

Doris Day had a very famous Song, got the 1956 Academy Award for Best Original Song.

Que Serra Serra, what ever will be, will be, the future is Not ours to see, Que Serra, Serra.;) :thumbsup:

parieira

Feb 19, 2007
I am pretty sure that whether the song was based off of the portuguese or spanish (Que será, será), it probably doesn't have two "r", but the point got across. :p I do like the song though, even if i was born 27 years after its creation.

Well, I ordered it off of NewEgg, let's see how it goes once it gets here... Ultimately, "O Que será, será" indeed.

Parieira, Brazilian Mac hater

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: parieira
I am pretty sure that whether the song was based off of the portuguese or spanish (Que será, será), it probably doesn't have two "r"
LOL
Sorry, you are right should be Sera.