client/host printing with RealVNC

RBBRMADE

Oct 28, 2003
Is there any way for a remote PC (client) to share a regular printer on a off-site machine (host).

The connection is made thru the internet, not a LAN, and both machines are running Windows XP Home.

While running an application on the host with the client, I need to be able to print to the client printer.
thats confusing.....On machine A, I am accessing Machine B. I am running Word on B, controlling it with A. When I hit 'print', I want it to print to the printer connected to A....that's even more confusing......If you have an answer, you probably know what I am talking about anyway!

thanx,
Ron

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I know a Guy that every time he needs to go from New York to Boston he first goes to Philadelphia.

Canyou go from New York to Boston through Philadelphia? Sure.

Does make sense to do it if you have nothing to do in Philadelphia? No.

If your problem is the location of the Printer Make it a Wireless Network Printer through your Router.

As indicated in you other Thread you know that it works with the Router.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: JackMDS
I know a Guy that every time he needs to go from New York to Boston he first goes to Philadelphia.

Canyou go from New York to Boston through Philadelphia? Sure.

Does make sense to do it if you have nothing to do in Philadelphia? No.

If your problem is the location of the Printer Make it a Wireless Network Printer through your Router.

As indicated in you other Thread you know that it works with the Router.

? :confused: Someone is not quite on the ball today, his VNC is through the internet not the LAN.

Originally posted by: RBBRMADE
Is there any way for a remote PC (client) to share a regular printer on a off-site machine (host).

The connection is made thru the internet, not a LAN, and both machines are running Windows XP Home.

While running an application on the host with the client, I need to be able to print to the client printer.
thats confusing.....On machine A, I am accessing Machine B. I am running Word on B, controlling it with A. When I hit 'print', I want it to print to the printer connected to A....that's even more confusing......If you have an answer, you probably know what I am talking about anyway!

thanx,
Ron

I don't know about printing, but maybe you could transfer the file using Ultr@VNC ?

RBBRMADE

Oct 28, 2003
I will look up ultr@VNC, thanx.
This is a different setup than my other post, JackMDS, hence another post. But thanks for your helpful comments anyway.
Ron

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
RealVNC does not provide for remote printing. You can either use a product that has file transfer, such as UltraVNC, and send it to the machine you want to print on, or a program that has remote printing features, such as PCAnywhere.

dexter333

Oct 9, 2000
Windows Remote Desktop has this functionality built in, along with drive and port sharing. It works really well too. Only downside is that it only comes with Windows XP Professional and Windows Server 2003.