Clicking sound in engine. Diagnosis/solution please! :D

crabbyapple1

Banned
Sep 10, 2001
I've been having this issue with my engine. First off, it makes a funny grinding noise low RPMs (about 800-1200). This is more noticeable in gear (not idling). Also becomes even more noticeable when the AC is on. I have after market pulleys that changed the diameters for the pulleys on the water pump and alternator. The sound seems to be coming from the power steering resevoir. Could it be this? I'm guessing it's a bearing problem

Second, i get a clicking noise in my engine whenever I reach about 2500-3000 miles from a new oil change. the oil change always clears the sound up.

thirdly, squeaky belt. I've sprayed a half can of pyroil belt dressing onto it (not at one time though). the squealing is pretty much gond but comes back after a long drive on the freeway. this woudl be the day after I go on a long drive but the squealing dissappears after the engine warms up a bit.

suggestions please?

sprockkets

Mar 29, 2001
clicking noise might be the sound of a valve opening and closing, I don't remember the cause exactly, cause it happened to my dad's old 81 van, it might have been low oil.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
The grinding sound might be the power steering pump going bad.

The squaky belt is simple - get a new belt and make sure it's nice and tight.

Clickiung noise that goes away when you change the oil... that's a strange one....

sprockkets

Mar 29, 2001
my brother is a mechanic, but can't get rid of the belt noise, and basically if the belt is in good shape, and only makes minor squeaks and doesn't scream, leave it alone, adding oil or lubricant only makes it worse.

oh it's a vw golf 95 in good shape, so it is not due to old age. he just has to live with it.

crabbyapple1

Banned
Sep 10, 2001

<< clicking noise might be the sound of a valve opening and closing, I don't remember the cause exactly, cause it happened to my dad's old 81 van, it might have been low oil. >>

yeah i was thinking like it was a sticking valve. cuz it increases with engine speed. as for the belt, my roommate works at good year and told me to take it in there tomorrow. I get an at cost doscount. :D

he says i should just get the belt changed with the goodyear gatorback. said it was a good belt and they would do it right.

funny thing is i've been driving this car with these mods for a year now (belt is only a year old, had to get a larger one so it fit).

thanks for the help so far. would really like to figure out that grinding and clicking noises though.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
My old mans car had a problem with a clicking noise, it was a sticky lifter.

The other diagnose' sound like they are correct.

crabbyapple1

Banned
Sep 10, 2001

<< My old mans car had a problem with a clicking noise, it was a sticky lifter.

The other diagnose' sound like they are correct.
>>

alright diagnosis is good, what's the solution?

JACKHAMMER

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
[/i] >>

I've been having this issue with my engine. First off, it makes a funny grinding noise low RPMs (about 800-1200). This is more noticeable in gear (not idling). Also becomes even more noticeable when the AC is on. I have after market pulleys that changed the diameters for the pulleys on the water pump and alternator. The sound seems to be coming from the power steering resevoir. Could it be this? I'm guessing it's a bearing problem[q\]

Could be a bearing problem, could be a belt tensioner. Take the drive belt off and turn all the pullies by hand (w/ a wrench). Don't forget the alt., water pump, PS, etc. Check to see is you get that grinding. Changing the belt is also a good idea, when you got the aftermarket pullies, you changed the belt length right?

<< get a clicking noise in my engine whenever I reach about 2500-3000 miles from a new oil change. the oil change always clears the sound up. >>

No idea on this one. See if moving ti a synthetic oil will help. It sounds like valve knock, which is no big deal. If it is a Honda, it might be piston slap, which sort of sounds like a clicking.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
a good fix for squeaky belts is to put a candle on the belt while it it moving. The wax tihtens the belt and acts as a lubricant. My dad has told me thye used to do this alot to Chyrsler cars in the 80's.

The clicking sound, hmmm... is there an oil leak somewhere? Maybe the oil is so low that it is not ciculating everywhere it should be.

The clicking noise is a sticking or dirty valve lifter.
To stop the belts from squeaking,remove them one at a time and roughen up the contact surfaces of the pulleys with fine sandpaper.
The grinding noise is most likely your power steering pump showing signs of failure.

ttn1

Oct 24, 2000
The clicking definitely sounds like your engine is getting low on oil. Especially if changing the oil makes it go away. Solution, change oil more often or check it every 1000 miles or so and add if needed.

If you can't tighten the belt to remove the squeaking, I would definitely try a different brand of belt. If the belt is a year old, it probably just needs tightened again, after working into the groove a little bit.

ttn1

Jan 18, 2001
whenever an engie is low on oil, you will hear the lifter arm chatter. that might be the clikcing. it goes away with oil change which suggests that you are burning oil.

RayH

Jun 30, 2000
What kind of car do you have?

Grinding noise could be bearings. You should check the tension on the belts.

Ticking noise is probably due to hydraulic lifters if your car has them. Removing and cleaning should help.

For the squeaky belt, again check belt tension and make sure tensioner is working. Some Ajax can help it it's slipping.

Not all aftermarket pulleys are balanced with the rest of the engine and some have been known to cause pre-mature bearing failure.

flambus

Apr 2, 2001
grinding noise --- could be a loose belt. since the noise gets louder when you turn on the AC, that puts a load on the alternator and causes the AC pump to turn on. all these components working at the same time one belt can cause a low rumble (or grinding sound, depending on how you interpret).

Clicking sound --- sounds like a lifter problem to me. out-of-adjusted lifters can cause a clicking noise. the rods from the cam push on lifters to let exhaust out or air in. if there is too much clearance between the rod and lifter, you get a clicking noise.

squeak noise --- since you've indicated that you have replaced the original pulleys. there is your answer. the pulleys are not aligned properly, thus causes a squeaking noise... also tightening the belt may help (see grinding noise)

crabbyapple1

Banned
Sep 10, 2001
Damn. Just got up. Thanks for all the great info. I'll be checking the pulleys a little later. The car is a 1999 Alero (purchased in Nov 98) 3.4L V6. There's an auto tensioner on the pulley system. I don't think I would need to tighten it right? It should take care of that.

Also to answer a few questions:

No there is no oil leaking from the car. I'll have to check the oil every 1K i guess..... don't know if it is low oil.

Belt was changed when I put on the pulleys. Had to get a longer length

Changed the alternator just a little while back..... so it's not the bearing in the alternator. I'll have to get the power steering and water pump checked out though. Hopefully it's something simple.

I run 92+ octane whenever I can I go with 100+ (special gas stations) :D
I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

Again thanks for all the info :)