Clicking and popping sound

nipplefish

Feb 11, 2005
So I used to run a Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS. It didn't seem to want to play nice with Windows 7, as the audio would periodically pop and click, and then eventually lapse into horrible distortion. Restarting the Windows Audio service would fix it temporarily, and rebooting would fix it for a longer period, but it would always come back. I finally got tired of it and bought an HT Omega Striker 7.1. Now I no longer get the really bad distortion, but I still get pops and clicks in my sound.

I can't figure out what could be causing this. My guess is that it has something to do with the Windows audio service, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
What about your Speakers?
Do you have an external power supply for the Subwoofer and Speakers?
If you do and it's not on a protected Backup Power outlet or filtered power strip, then your Speakers can pick up noise through the external power supply.

Also, do you have the Windows 7 Sound drivers installed for the Sound card and Onboard Audio disabled?

nipplefish

Feb 11, 2005
It's not the speakers. If it were a speaker issue, why would restarting the audio service get rid of it? o_O Besides, I use headphones 90% of the time anyway. I'm using the latest Windows 7 drivers right off HT Omega's website, onboard is disabled in BIOS.

Incidentally, I had clean sound all day today. Like I said, it's much better than it was with the Sound Blaster, but it still pops up from time to time.