Cleats (footwear) question

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
I play Gaelic football (for those of you that have never heard of it, think of a hybrid of rugby and soccer), and every year so far I've had someone cleat me on a little toe and break it. And it is annoying me. Now, I'm not looking for some steel toed cleats to allow me to kick someone's shin in (there are no pads in Gaelic football, but there is full contact, so things do get broken), but I'd like something like a rigid piece of plastic over my little toes to protect them from someone coming down on one of my toes and breaking another one. Does any manufacturer make something like that, or should I try to find someone local who will modify my current cleats?

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005

I use to tape my toes & fingers together when played rugby to prevent it from breaking. It work perfectly, but it didn?t prevent me from having broken knee, ankle & wrist.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: mchammer
Talk to a foot doctor about it, they can help you out. Or maybe a trainer.

I dont know if they can. The mechanics of having 200lbs of weight from another players foot be transferred through just one of the spikes on his cleats onto just your small toe seems like it would result in a break no matter what you do to the toe without using a hard insert to spread the force from that one spike to many toes or your whole foot.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Tick
What you need to do is install giant metal spikes coming from the toes of your cleats.

That would pretty well pop the ball every time I kick it, which would be bad. Instead I try to level everyone who cleats my feet, but that isnt always practical.