clearance barebones@buy.com

natennd

Mar 18, 2001
MY first post. I saw 2 systems @ buy.com's clearance desk top page a; ecs p6se-ml @$80.63, and onspeed u-631 @$70.55, was wondering whats needed for a working setup,and if these are worth the price.Any feed back appreciated.
:confused:

TravisBickle

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2000
maybe you mean p6set-ml? i have seen one with video, audio, lan, modem all integrated, and both slot 1 and ppga sockets. bare bones means you'll get it inside a case with psu, cd rom and floppy. you have to supply everything else. even if you don't get the drives I think that board works PIII and celerons @100fsb (on a slotket adapter to the slot1) so it's a good price.

natennd

Mar 18, 2001
Thanks, I'm fairly new to this sport , the technical specs listed for those models are the most ive seen, dont make much sense @ present time. So do I need to supply a hard drive, operating system, and monitor? Also does the cpu come with most setups like this? I'd like to piece one together for fun and a couple of my brothers would like to enter the world of computing so I think the systems would have homes. Buy.com appears to have several hundred of each.
thanks again. :D

TravisBickle

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2000
ECS support etc
i bought a similar sort of board and remember these pages.
you should only get what I told you with it, I have seen their barebones packages before. i looked for U-631 and I only found uboats. be aware that water is very bad for your computer :D
apparently the board takes celeron 766 now
these setups are an amazing cost saver but be aware that the 3D performance is appalling. I hope you get a driver disc with it, you do need this...

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
natennd--I looked at the On Speed U-631 Barebones System at buy. Yes, you would need to supply all the items you mentioned, plus the cpu.

Good that you noticed it did not come with a cpu.....or RAM, etc.

Hmmm....I can't see that it's quite that good a deal without cpu. I've always bought my stuff separately, and pieced everything together, so, I'm not an expert on these items. Mostly you get onboard sound/modem/video, and it doesn't look like it's all that good video. And, ps, mobo, case, floppy. I don't think it has onboard lan.

TravisBickle--couldn't he get quite a bit better system for a little more, by getting a barebones with cpu and maybe a better mobo? I mean, they do have good quality integrated mobos now? Do you know where he would look? I mean, other than Fry's or Tiger?

Yeah, it could be pretty neat, specially to build 'em with your brothers. And, I have found if you build several that are all the same or similar.....when you find a fix for one thing....it is a whole lot easier.<G>

I notice you have a Dell. I asked....can't remember which forum....sometime in Nov. thru Feb. about whether I should go with a mobo/cpu, and piece stuff together, or go with Dell for a g/f thinking about building her first. They came up with some pretty decent mobos that were integrated. However, for the $$$'s, she went with a Dell from their refurb. store.

PM me if you need a link for the thread. It might be a bit outdated.
--Randy