Cleaning up and painting a bathroom

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Alright, my bathroom paint is currently looking pretty nasty. Originally whitish, but has stains on the walls and everything. Hasn't been painted in a good 12 years probably. I know I have to prime it, do some cutting and rolling, and then put on the finish coat. The walls in pretty good shape with no holes in it, so no patching or anything is necessary. Is there anything in between I'm missing? Also, what type of paint should I use?

I also have this fugly ass thing over my toilet, its got two legs, has a shelf right above the toilet, and then two more shelves, probably about 7 feet high. Should I trash it and just install some shelves above the toilet or should I look around for something similar to it?

As for the tile on the floor, what can I do to try to restore the grout back to its original white, or as close as I can to it.

It looks like the caulk in my shower is starting to peel a bit, so I'm going to reapply there. Is there any specific type of caulk I should get. I'm thinking mildew-proof acrylic latex caulk because I hear the polyurethane caulk tends to grow mildew a lot more.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
My advice: stop by home depot and pick up a book, much easier and much more informative :p

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
sounds nasty. We just painted our main bathroom a few weeks ago and it hadn't been painted in 17 years. No stains or anything of the sort, and that's with the majority of the years being used by 6 people. Why would you need to prime it? Cutting and rolling?

Learn to control your p00p!