Cleaning digital SLR sensors

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
I've seen some pen-shaped products that people seem to like, but I don't really know what works. What products do you fellow ATers use to clean the sensors?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
A generic ear syringe worked for me with a D60, 20D and 5D. There are specific procedures you can download from Canon's website for more serious problems. I took my D60 to a local Nikon service shop, and they did it for $30.

Now I am waiting for the 5D to have the auto cleaning sensor added like the 30D and 1D series.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: corkyg
A generic ear syringe worked for me with a D60, 20D and 5D. There are specific procedures you can download from Canon's website for more serious problems. I took my D60 to a local Nikon service shop, and they did it for $30.

Now I am waiting for the 5D to have the auto cleaning sensor added like the 30D and 1D series.

Neither the 30D nor every camera of the 1D series has sensor cleaning.

XTi and 1DMKIII are the only ones of Canon's that I'm aware of that has sensor cleaning.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

XTi and 1DMKIII are the only ones of Canon's that I'm aware of that has sensor cleaning.

And it is very unimperssive to say the least - at the moment Olympus is the one that has a functional system. The competition at the moment is largely full of marketing.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: magomago

And it is very unimperssive to say the least - at the moment Olympus is the one that has a functional system. The competition at the moment is largely full of marketing.

For the XTi at least. I doubt the one on the 1DMKIII is worthless. Respect for Olympus though.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Sorry, Fuzzy - I was thinking ahead. Those features will be incorporated in the forthcoming fall models. Right now, the XTI is a super value.

I will wait for the next edition of the 5D - mine was stolen at LAX last July on my way to Italy - along with a 24-105 IS L lens, and a 70-300 DO IS , and a 50mm f/1.4 - spare batteries, Lowepro case, 580EX flash and accessories.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Sorry, Fuzzy - I was thinking ahead. Those features will be incorporated in the forthcoming fall models. Right now, the XTI is a super value.

I will wait for the next edition of the 5D - mine was stolen at LAX last July on my way to Italy - along with a 24-105 IS L lens, and a 70-300 DO IS , and a 50mm f/1.4 - spare batteries, Lowepro case, 580EX flash and accessories.

:Q

If I lost that stuff it'd be game over. I always have my camera gear on my body when I travel. People would have to steal me to steal my gear.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

:Q

If I lost that stuff it'd be game over. I always have my camera gear on my body when I travel. People would have to steal me to steal my gear.

Same here. I actually just bought a Lowepro Mini Trekker backpack, which is nice, but I am VERY seriously considering stitching a flag or something onto the back to cover the Lowepro logo. It doesn't scream "photography gear inside" except for the logo; otherwise, it's just another backpack. With the logo, I might as well have "STEAL ME" printed in flashing neon. :D

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
There were many exyenuating circumstances. I was simply overloaded at the TSA screening area - had to remove my laptop from its case, take off my shoes, my jacket, put the laptop case, the camera case, my passport pouch, shoes, belt, watch, etc in two bins on the xray conveyer - then step through the body scanner, then reassemble it all on the other side while helping my wife with her stuff. And, the area was under construction, and quite chaotic. An accident waiting to happen. Otherwise, I am with you, and past years of air travel overseas went without incident.

I can assure you it will never happen again. I didn't realize the camera bag was missing untill we were called to boord the Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt.

Anyway - the XTI does have a lens cleaning system - and so do the new 1Ds. And Olympus is OK except for the 4x3 format.