Cleaning anti-glare crt screen

Amaretto747

Dec 15, 2000
I have a Sony E400, the manual says not to use glass cleaner to clean the screen, instead use soap and water, but using soap and water doesn't really cut it since it leaves streaks and stuff, is there like a solution you can buy intended for anti-glare screens? I have the impression that glass cleaner might remove some of the anti-glare because of the ammonia content and alcohol content. Any suggestions? thanks.

EvilDonnyboy

Banned
Jul 28, 2000
Yea, regular window glass cleaner as well as eye glass cleaner may remove the anti-glar coatings. They do sell special Monitor/Scanner bed cleaner that won't do that. It should be at one of your local computer outlets. But I personally use a tissue with no water to clean fingerprints and dust form my screens. If the stuff is a bit greasy or something, i'd use a bit of water wiht no soap to clean it, and immediately wipe dry. This gets rid of all the stuff that gets on my screens. If this isn't enuf 4 u, maybe you should stop eating pizza off your monitor screens and scanner beds :)

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Ooops. I work in the lab at school. I clean my monitor (and the rest when bored) with WINDEX all the damn time. The monitors are these darth vadar 19" IBM's. I don't think that they are the no glare kind though. Is it safe to wash no-glare type monitors with window cleaner? Cause that sh!t works really good at getting any mozzerella off of the screen ;).

Packet

Apr 24, 2000
Most monitors do have an anti-glare coat.
I would try not to use windex from now on ;)

Amaretto747

Dec 15, 2000
evildonnyboy,
I'll try to cut down on eating pizza or for that matter, stop eating in front of the computer. Seriously, the tissue thing doesn't work, it just makes things worse since it spreads the oil, I tried using water, same thing happened, it just streaks, I got fingerprints all over the screen since some kid started touching the screen and left fingerprints, so I'll go to a local computer store and ask for that cleaner stuff for scanner bed, thanks.

Amaretto747

Dec 15, 2000
SMP,
As far as I know, if it doesn't have any anti-glare coating, it's okay to use any kind of window cleaner since it's just plain glass. It's the one that have anti-glare that's very hard to clean.,

MADCAP

Jul 10, 2000
You can use "Glass Plus" it has no ammonia.

Here are the ingredients [Biodegradable cleaning agents (surfactants),fragrance, and water]

It also says "CONTAINS NO AMMONIA OR PHOSPHATES"

This stuff rocks! It's a glass and surface cleaner. It gives a streak free shine. And I also use it to clean my mouse and keyboard. Plus you can get it at any store, and it is the same price as windex.