Clean install with win8 upgrade media

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by kleinkinstein, Nov 13, 2012.

1. kleinkinstein

kleinkinstein Senior member

Has anyone been successful? Lot's of tutorials for win7, but how about win8?

2. gpse

gpse Senior member

just make sure windows 7 is on your current hard drive, I used the Windows 8 Installer to make a USB install media.
    Reboot with the USB media, boot from USB, then you can delete your current windows 7 partitions\hard drive and clean install windows 8.

3. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

That procedure is correct. Only issue would be installing to a blank drive. For that, you need to do the registry work around which is what MS does when you call them to activate anyway. I'm not sure why they say its unsupported procedure.

4. jhansman

jhansman Platinum Member

Will this allow you to set up a dual boot? I need to 'cause the wife is freaked about having to learn a "new" OS, so I'm gonna partition off 60 gigs or so on my boot drive and try Win8 until I'm sure (or, not) that I want to move to it permanently.

5. sze5003

sze5003 Lifer

Yeah the setup ISO detects windows on your hd before it tells you to delete or select a hard drive from the list. From that area partition a section and install. If you partitioned it before hand in windows 7 it may not know it's from the same hard drive and may think the partition is just blank space with no previous os

6. abaez

abaez Diamond Member