Clean install of Windows 7 with Upgrade version not Full version

benwood

Feb 15, 2004
I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack and want to use it on a clean installation on my newly built computer and I don't want to do the double installation trick. I tried using these instructions http://blog.chriskankiewicz.com/post/10/windows-7-activation-hack/ . But when I went to make the registry changes I couldn't find "...Setup\OOBE" under the CurrentVersion directory. Anyone know how to fix this? I'm a novice regarding the directory so please be very explicit in your instructions. Or is there another way to do a clean install with Windows 7 upgrade. A lot of the instructions on how to do so on Google are obsolete as Microsoft has fixed some of the loopholes.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
It just means you need to create the necessary keys by hand. If you're not comfortable doing that, the following command (run from a prompt with administrator privileges) should do the trick.

Code:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE /v MediaBootInstall /t reg_dword  /f /d 0

benwood

Feb 15, 2004
It just means you need to create the necessary keys by hand. If you're not comfortable doing that, the following command (run from a prompt with administrator privileges) should do the trick.

Code:
REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\OOBE /v MediaBootInstall /t reg_dword  /f /d 0

I did a cut & paste to a CMD window and got the following message "Error: Access is denied". What did I do wrong?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I did a cut & paste to a CMD window and got the following message "Error: Access is denied". What did I do wrong?
That means you didn't do it from a prompt with admin privileges. CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER when bringing up a command prompt.