Clean, cheap PC speaker with min fuss?

etherealfocus

Jun 2, 2009
I've got some Logitech 2.1 speaker system in my office right now... sounds fine but sub is eating up limited floor space and reducing wire clutter would be nice. Possible to get something around the same performance level as, say, a Z213 in a single speaker bar or, failing that, a 2.0 system? That small Bose 2.0 system sounds pretty decent but I'm hoping for something under $50, given the Z213 is readily available for $35ish.

Needs to fill my whole office ~300sf since I walk around a bit but nothing beyond that.

No gaming so don't care about surround sound or thudding bass, just need clean background music while I'm working. Mix of classical, classic rock/metal (Doors, Metallica, Zeppelin, King Crimson), folk rock (TMBG), some electronic. Wouldn't hurt if it looked nice-ish for clients. :)

Reactions: harish760

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
get a decent set of powered bookshelves
they can look alot nicer than pc speakers
check out audio engine

oh and up the budget

etherealfocus

Jun 2, 2009
Those look nice, but quite a bit overkill. Cheapest powered ones I see are around $250 (A2+)... that's a bit more than I'm willing to spend to fill one modest room with decent background music. And the aesthetics aren't anything special either.

I might go up to 100 for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA

But telling someone to drop 250+ for cheap office speakers is a bit like suggesting you need a BMW to get groceries.

richaron

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2012
The Edifers look decent to me...

Another option if you want a "clean" look, with a smaller footprint and the ability to run wireless with Bluetooth would be something like the Creative T30. Admittedly smaller sound than the Edifers posted, but I had the T20s for a long time and still rate them highly.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
Those look nice, but quite a bit overkill. Cheapest powered ones I see are around $250 (A2+)... that's a bit more than I'm willing to spend to fill one modest room with decent background music. And the aesthetics aren't anything special either.

I might go up to 100 for something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280T-Powered-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B016P9HJIA

But telling someone to drop 250+ for cheap office speakers is a bit like suggesting you need a BMW to get groceries.

Buy those then. $100 is not bad for some cheap speakers. $50 means not just cheap but junk. This is an office with clients entering? You want good sound but want cheap? I say spend the $100 and get those then. If not then I would spend more and not buy cheap but buy something nice. I don't think he was telling you to up your budget so you can buy cheap speakers. I think he meant up your budget so you can buy quality speakers.

etherealfocus

Jun 2, 2009
Ended up going with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F2YEN4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1HCNQ0JAEWISM

Under $50 and, judging by pics and reviews, neither look nor sound at all like junk. I'm not endorsing being a cheapskate, but there are good deals out there.

Honestly though, aesthetically I probably could've gotten these and been fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ9XKCM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

$20 and they look plenty good. I didn't get em because I wanted something a bit louder and punchier for after hours, but I really couldn't see anyone refusing to sign a contract over em. ;)

I had an interior designer come by last week and redecorate... got a new desk and a nice fake free on the way, repainted the walls, etc. Already got a nice 34" screen, MK360 wireless mouse and keyboard, etc. New speakers were just the finishing touch.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
nvm - due to multiple browser tabs, that sure got posted in the totally wrong thread...

Last edited: