Classical Guitar Rattle

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
I can hear a rattle if I hold up my guitar and shake it. It sounds like its coming from inside the guitar where the neck meets the body. I took off the strings and reached my hand into the hole on top and felt around for anything loose, but I couldn't find anything exactly. There is a big sticker inside where the end of the neck would seem to be inside the body of the guitar, and if I feel the sticker I can feel some loose stuff, and at least something behind the sticker seems to make a bit of a noise if I tap it. Anyone know what this is? Is it just supposed to be like this? The guitar is a La Patrie Etude, for what that's worth.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Does the guitar have a truss rod? Maybe it has an adjustment bolt that's loose. Kind of hard to tell without seeing how the guitar is put together.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Does the guitar have a truss rod? Maybe it has an adjustment bolt that's loose. Kind of hard to tell without seeing how the guitar is put together.

Actually, I just cut the sticker off. It was a loose bolt, I tightened it up and now the rattle has gone away.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Saint Michael

Actually, I just cut the sticker off. It was a loose bolt, I tightened it up and now the rattle has gone away.
That bolt is what puts tension on the neck to resist the force of tightening the strings.

Too much tightening can warp the neck. So can not enough.
Humidity and temperature changes, and string size will affect how it's adjusted as well.

or not. good luck with that

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Originally posted by: Saint Michael

That bolt is what puts tension on the neck to resist the force of tightening the strings.

Too much tightening can warp the neck. So can not enough.
Humidity and temperature changes, and string size will affect how it's adjusted as well.

or not. good luck with that

Sounds like a lose-lose situation... dammit. I need to think about getting a real quality classical now anyway, now if only I had a spare thousand bucks.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Take it to a shop and see if they think it's worth adjusting. The truss rod shouldn't have gotten loose by itself.