Classic example how the right wing media and Republicans spread outright lies and propaganda. Kremlin would be proud.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Straight out of the Putin playbook. Ever wonder how Russians got so brainwashed. I give you a classic example.. A guy on a flight started singing Christian songs in the aisle.

It got a lot of views and comments. One of the comments was from Rep Ilhan Omar who said...

I think my family and I should have a prayer session next time I am on a plane. How do you think it will end?

After that right wing media and Republicans started spreading lies about what she said.
Ilhan Omar criticizes singing Christians on plane (nypost.com)
‘Why do you hate Christians?’ Ingrate, Ilhan Omar Brutally Mocked For Attacking Christians On Easter | One of the hallmarks of the progressive left is their detachment from everything that represents American values and traditions. Since the focus of their identities is to be the destroyers of those very concepts- progressives often show their scorn for America in public and at very sensitive times. They appear to want to be shocking (ussanews.com)
Ilhan Omar Invokes Her Family to Attack Christian Worshipers and Got an Earful (townhall.com)
Ilhan Omar outraged at impromptu worship on a plane, asked 'Why do you hate Christians?' (bizpacreview.com)
Ilhan Omar Accused of ‘Christianophobia’ over Viral Clip Remarks (breitbart.com)

It goes on and on. Go back and reread her tweet. She neither criticized the singers or bashed Christians. Her complaint was if her family started an open Muslim prayer on a plane the results would have been different. She is right. It would have resulted in one or more of the following...

Flight diverted.
Arrests
Ordered to stop
forced detention in seats
Report to the FAA
Arrest upon arrival.

Yet in Putin like style the right wing just spreads lies and propaganda to continue the brainwashing of their lemmings.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
As a side note, there are a few restaurants around here that play Christian music. (Apparently, it's due to it being the "least offensive" option?) Anyway, whenever I hear it, I can't help but think of the premise of Faith + 1 from South Park. The music is just so conceptually boring. (I usually use headphones in those places so I don't have to hear it.)

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Shouldn't those fuckers be turning the other cheek or some shit? Oh, nope, busy worshiping a false idol and coveting stuff.
As a side note, there are a few restaurants around here that play Christian music. (Apparently, it's due to it being the "least offensive" option?) Anyway, whenever I hear it, I can't help but think of the premise of Faith + 1 from South Park. The music is just so conceptually boring. (I usually use headphones in those places so I don't have to hear it.)
The Salvation Army I used to frequent played that stuff for a couple years, it was tooth-grindingly bad. Even Chik-Fil-A manages to have bland music that isn't annoying.

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Straight out of the Putin playbook. Ever wonder how Russians got so brainwashed. I give you a classic example.. A guy on a flight started singing Christian songs in the aisle.

It got a lot of views and comments. One of the comments was from Rep Ilhan Omar who said...

After that right wing media and Republicans started spreading lies about what she said.
‘Why do you hate Christians?’ Ingrate, Ilhan Omar Brutally Mocked For Attacking Christians On Easter | One of the hallmarks of the progressive left is their detachment from everything that represents American values and traditions. Since the focus of their identities is to be the destroyers of those very concepts- progressives often show their scorn for America in public and at very sensitive times. They appear to want to be shocking (ussanews.com)
Ilhan Omar Invokes Her Family to Attack Christian Worshipers and Got an Earful (townhall.com)
Ilhan Omar outraged at impromptu worship on a plane, asked 'Why do you hate Christians?' (bizpacreview.com)
Ilhan Omar Accused of ‘Christianophobia’ over Viral Clip Remarks (breitbart.com)

It goes on and on. Go back and reread her tweet. She neither criticized the singers or bashed Christians. Her complaint was if her family started an open Muslim prayer on a plane the results would have been different. She is right. It would have resulted in one or more of the following...

Flight diverted.
Arrests
Ordered to stop
Report to the FAA
Arrest upon arrival.

Yet in Putin like style the right wing just spreads lies and propaganda to continue the brainwashing of their lemmings.

Me on that flight

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Find some new places. I live in Oklahoma and I'd never somewhere playing worship or christian "rock"music.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I think Omar is an idiot politically but in this case she's right on target.

And if I were on that plane I would be ready to start throwing things! :p

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

I agree with you and Omar on this one.
But now the subject is hardly what she said, and is how she is being attacked by lies.

The frightening part is the propagandists will claim theirs is the truth and it is their god given free speech to preach it high and low. That any attempt to silence them is a violation of said rights, and they should be protected by second amendment solutions. You know, against the commies that are obviously coming for them.

Which is to say... the whole incident of people living and spreading multiple truths, sets of facts, etc... has me questioning free speech itself, our abuse of it as a society, and how social media may require us to take action against what is considered "free speech". It has me entertaining the notion that some of our core rights and civil liberties may just be a poisoned pill that will either end us, or be ended by us.

Got some very conflicted feelings on this, but I am witnessing a terrible decent into anarchy amidst partisan warfare, a sickness that modern communications is hastening because humanity is too immature to handle widespread information without turning it into misinformation.

I swear I am witnessing our open society being used to end our society.
We may be powerless to meet this challenge with a civil response.

Reactions: Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I agree with you and Omar on this one.
But now the subject is hardly what she said, and is how she is being attacked by lies.

The frightening part is the propagandists will claim theirs is the truth and it is their god given free speech to preach it high and low. That any attempt to silence them is a violation of said rights, and they should be protected by second amendment solutions. You know, against the commies that are obviously coming for them.

Which is to say... the whole incident of people living and spreading multiple truths, sets of facts, etc... has me questioning free speech itself, our abuse of it as a society, and how social media may require us to take action against what is considered "free speech". It has me entertaining the notion that some of our core rights and civil liberties may just be a poisoned pill that will either end us, or be ended by us.

Got some very conflicted feelings on this, but I am witnessing a terrible decent into anarchy amidst partisan warfare, a sickness that modern communications is hastening because humanity is too immature to handle widespread information without turning it into misinformation.

I swear I am witnessing our open society being used to end our society.
We may be powerless to meet this challenge with a civil response.
This is less about Omar and more about how right wingers execute propaganda and lies just like the Kremlin. Like @cytg111 said, not a smart battle for her to pick. Should have lateralled that ball to someone else.

Remember the right have aligned themselves with Russia and Putin.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

Flight diverted.
Arrests
Ordered to stop
Report to the FAA
Arrest upon arrival.

thanks for pointing this out, I did not see how badly her comment was spun.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This is less about Omar and more about how right wingers execute propaganda and lies just like the Kremlin. Like @cytg111 said, not a smart battle for her to pick. Should have lateralled that ball to someone else.

I'd like to have a proper debate on freedom of speech, the free press and democracy as we interpret it in our modern age on here... its of this nature but probably deserves its own thread.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The way that Repubs like to gleefully dissect, eviscerate and transform commentary by liberals into denigrating talking points due to their total absence of anything meaningful to debate over, every Democrat politician should understand that every comment they make about anything and everything should be preceded by having them read their Miranda rights by the nearest Trumper within hearing range and have their personal attorneys present at all times so libel suits can be filed at a moment's notice.

Oh and everyone should take note that pleading the 5th is exclusively reserved for conservatives because it's perfectly fine for them to do that but heaven help any Democrat that even thinks about going there should the remote possibility ever arise..

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010

I'm curious why you say this was not a smart battle to pick? She got smeared by a bunch of conservative news outlets but I'm certain those reader-bases hated here mercilessly before this story. Wonder how this plays over with those who vote for her. I'm guessing positively.

Reactions: Tsinni Dave

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm curious why you say this was not a smart battle to pick? She got smeared by a bunch of conservative news outlets but I'm certain those reader-bases hated here mercilessly before this story. Wonder how this plays over with those who vote for her. I'm guessing positively.
It's a smart battle to pick just not for her. She already has a reputation rightly or wrongly for being anti Semitic or anti Christian. It was easy for the experienced liars to make shit up about her. I could easily name 30 other people who could have made the same comment without the baggage.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It's a smart battle to pick just not for her. She already has a reputation rightly or wrongly for being anti Semitic or anti Christian. It was easy for the experienced liars to make shit up about her. I could easily name 30 other people who could have made the same comment without the baggage.

I would say that's exactly why she should keep on doing what she's doing.

They'll lie regardless. If she clams up because of it, she's caving in to the typical behavior controls of conservatives globally.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I think she is right of course, and a dumbass for not knowing how to chose your battles.
In my opinion, she is doing the battle correctly, it's just that she should have been more specific of what she meant on her tweet. After all, there are many Trump supporters that have a comprehension problem. This is the reason why right-wing media thinks it is wrong for someone to do a Muslim prayer on a flight.

Further more, Fox News specifically is what some would say is overload pro-majority. If you were to think about it, majority of Americans are Christians. Thus, right wing media thinks that anything that is majority must b's considered an American Value and the American way of life, even if that is truly not the case. Thus the reason why they feel that anything not Christian is an attack on the values of America and the American way of life.

There really was no better way thus for Omar to state what she wanted to state.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Yet another examples of lies. Fox invites a guest onto their show knowing there will be a dishonest quote they then can use in article headlines.

They run a headline that says this...
"
Biden stopped domestic oil production 'with the stroke of a pen': Rep. Brett Guthrie"

The headline is a lie. Here is the actual quote...
"Remember, President Biden, with the stroke of a pen, really stopped a lot of American production. But it takes a while to start that back up again, "

What she said isn't true. Oil production was steadily going up until COVID hit. It slowed to a trickle because companies stopped producing because the price went to <$10/barrel

Fox chopped up her quote and ran a headline that is an even bigger lie.

Biden stopped domestic oil production 'with the stroke of a pen': Rep. Brett Guthrie (msn.com)