Classic Adventure Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I've never played Zork, but I am a big fan of old LucasArts, Sierra and Legend adventures, but still, I don't miss the overcomplexed gameplay and controls, I miss the stories, characters, dialogues and locations, that is what we need the most I think. The only adventure from recent years that I've played and it felt both new and oldschool was Gray Matter. Otherwise there are almost no adventures with puzzles (even a good game like Dreamfall was basically a postman style A to B, B to C, C to A, A to C game) or are awkward German adventures, that are supposed to be funny, but they are not. Simon the Sorcerer 4 was a really horrible game even without comparison with first two installments (I haven't played Simon 3D, but many people say that it's bad).

Maybe a small dim light in this tunnel are games from TellTale, but even though theirSam & Max or Monkey Island, it became a routine after a few episodes.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Overcomplicated controls of Sierra and Lucas arts adventure games? By the time KQ4 came out you only needed 2 mouse buttons.

The current Batman games and such you have to be a contortionist to use all the moves

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Overcomplicated controls of Sierra and Lucas arts adventure games? By the time KQ4 came out you only needed 2 mouse buttons.

The current Batman games and such you have to be a contortionist to use all the moves

I didn't know there were Batman adventure games out. The only recent adventure games I have played are Telltale games (the Walking Dead, Sam and Max, etc) and LA Noire. What are the Batman adventure games called? Are they worth picking up?

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
I didn't know there were Batman adventure games out. The only recent adventure games I have played are Telltale games (the Walking Dead, Sam and Max, etc) and LA Noire. What are the Batman adventure games called? Are they worth picking up?
No batman adventure games, just putting it in perspective of how easy I think the controls were of all those old games in comparison to the mainstream games of today. Not just adventure but almost all genres from today, fps, rts, adventure, sim all of quite a learning curve in comparison imo.

But the ones I was referring to is Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City.

If you want to look into some classic adventure games these guys are pretty cool. http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html