Clark made case for Iraq war before Congress

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I'm just out to bash Clark
Dammit, I just knew it Cad. Good of you to admit it though. Have a nice day. :)

Wow - I guess I don't have to ever defend a statement of mine against you again after that. Thanks for playing:)

ClG
Those are your words. The quote is accurate, just like your selective quoting of Clark.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Bowfinger

Wow - I guess I don't have to ever defend a statement of mine against you again after that. Thanks for playing:)

ClG
Those are your words. The quote is accurate, just like your selective quoting of Clark.

If you look at my quoting of Clark - there is plenty of context. There is ZERO context in Monkeyboy's quoting of me, and infact was purposely decieving and exactly the opposite of what I said. My quoting of Clark was very much in context.
Nice try though. Try to impune me or Drudge all you want - it doesn't change what Clark said.:)

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I just knew Bowfinger would show up in this thread trying to say I'm wrong and "spinning"
rolleye.gif

Ofcourse what Bowfinger tends to forget is that my position is backed up by the data and the words uttered by one Mr.Clark. Drudge "broke" this, I read it, THEN went looking for the actual transcript, THEN posted this thread and have provided ample evidence of his supporting the use of FORCE.

Yes, we can all read what he says(via the link), and how he tried to say things, but when you really look at the combination of what he said and his stated position now is - they differ. He did infact suggest Congress pass legislation to put the force card on the table and wave it around - he said he SUPPORTED BUSH doing so. Yes, he did make other qualifying statements and opined about many other things, but he was quite clear that a dominant forceful position was indeed the path that he thought should be taken. He said the UN must take a stand - they didn't. His statements show that he does infact think that Saddam was a threat - and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. He acknowledged that Diplomacy alone was not going to work(he was not optimistic) and that force was likely and should be used if necessary.
You can yap all you want and say he was against this war all day long but Clark clearly supported the actions Bush was taking and urged Congress to support him(Bush) in those efforts. I could easily quote the whole damn thing with bolding so Bowfinger doesn't think I'm purposely leaving things out but that ofcourse would take alot of space, time, and would rely on you to decipher the point being made. I presented the portions(IN CONTEXT) that make the case that Clark did infact urge Congress to use the "force" card. If you can't handle that - then fine - vote for who you wish - just don't blame me when he turns out to be something he tries to say he is not.

And no, Bow saying his "handle" on things were better than Bush's is utter tripe. You can sit here and point to things said in hind-sight, but YOU don't know what Bush considered or didn't, so to say Bush didn't consider Clark's statements, or have similar thoughts/plans before Clark said them is pure speculation and is unsupportable with fact. Try as you might to defend Clark - his position was NOT consistent as he now claims.:)

We can also sit here and claim that Clark didn't support "THIS" war, or he didn't support it because of the timetable, or try to spin some other excuse - but the FACT is - he supported FORCE. He supported Diplomatic force(congressionall legislation) to leverage the UN - and in lew of that - he supported FORCE. Sure he'll say he would have done something different or on a different schedule - that really doesn't matter - he supported passing legislation of force. If you say he said otherwise("Such congressional resolution need NOT, at this point, authorize the use of force.") - then he contradicted himself during his testimony(..."but it is certainly time to put that card on the table, to turn it face up and to wave it and the president is doing that" - "...So you don't put that option on the table unless you really mean it.").

But yes - make your own decision on the candidates - just make sure you inform yourself as to their actual positions - not some 30 second soundbite you hear every hour or so.:)

CkG
I'm not going to deconstruct your whole rant -- the only way to win is not to play -- but I will correct one glaring distortion. Clark addressed Congress NOT to encourage them to use force, but to encourage them to threaten force, to put force on the table to gain leverage in our dealings with Iraq. They are not the same thing at all.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

ClG

If you look at my quoting of Clark - there is plenty of context. There is ZERO context in Monkeyboy's quoting of me, and infact was purposely decieving and exactly the opposite of what I said. My quoting of Clark was very much in context.
Nice try though. Try to impune me or Drudge all you want - it doesn't change what Clark said.:)

CkG
Try to impugn DealMoneky all you want - it doesn't change what you said.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
So was he taking both positions in the same speech? How can someone cite what he said and say "See? He supported force." And someone else cite passages from the same speech and say "See? He didn't".

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

ClG

CkG
Try to impugn DealMoneky all you want - it doesn't change what you said.

yup - more BS from the leader(you now have your crown back;)) If you had half a clue OR would quite trying to play games - you'd acknowledge my points on Clark and acknowledge that what monkeyboy did was wrong.

Whatever - it's your little game - play on if you wish.

CkG

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Did you expect Clark to be completely opposed to the possibility of ever using force in Iraq? No one here believes that was his position, and he certainly never said it. What comes out from the transcript, loud and clear, is that Clark did not support the military action that Bush took.

We can also sit here and claim that Clark didn't support "THIS" war, or he didn't support it because of the timetable, or try to spin some other excuse - but the FACT is - he supported FORCE.

I am sorry but you are wrong. If Clark was presented with the options that were in front of Bush early last year, he would not have chosen force. That is the bottom line.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Gaard
So was he taking both positions in the same speech? How can someone cite what he said and say "See? He supported force." And someone else cite passages from the same speech and say "See? He didn't".

:D

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: mfs378
Did you expect Clark to be completely opposed to the possibility of ever using force in Iraq? No one here believes that was his position, and he certainly never said it. What comes out from the transcript, loud and clear, is that Clark did not support the military action that Bush took.

We can also sit here and claim that Clark didn't support "THIS" war, or he didn't support it because of the timetable, or try to spin some other excuse - but the FACT is - he supported FORCE.

I am sorry but you are wrong. If Clark was presented with the options that were in front of Bush early last year, he would not have chosen force. That is the bottom line.

"Our President has emphasized the urgency of eliminating these weapons and weapons programs. I strongly support his efforts to encourage the United Nations to act on this problem and in taking this to the United Nations, the president's clear determination to act if the United States can't -- excuse me, if the United Nations can't provides strong leverage for under girding ongoing diplomatic efforts."

IMO and likely Bush's;) the UN didn't do as Clark suggested.

But whatever - support Clark for his anti-this-war views I guess.:)

CkG

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002

"Our President has emphasized the urgency of eliminating these weapons and weapons programs. I strongly support his efforts to encourage the United Nations to act on this problem and in taking this to the United Nations, the president's clear determination to act if the United States can't -- excuse me, if the United Nations can't provides strong leverage for under girding ongoing diplomatic efforts."
And what did Clark say next?

FrodoB

Apr 5, 2001
The bottom line is this - if you support Clark, you are an easily manipulated fool. He is NOT there as a regular candidate. Like someone mentioned earlier, he is there to weaken Dean. It's all part of Hillary 2008. The Clintons know that Bush is going easily defeat any of the Democrat stiffs. The Clintons have always been about Power. They do NOT want a Democrat to win this year because that will virtually guarantee that Hillary will never be able to run.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
yup - more BS from the leader(you now have your crown back;))
All right! I've got the crown again. Come on everyone, let's go invade something! ;)

If you had half a clue OR would quite trying to play games - you'd acknowledge my points on Clark
Nope. Pure tripe IMHO. You continue to misrepresent his clear intent.

and acknowledge that what monkeyboy did was wrong.
Aren't you the one who recently said something about, "What's good for the goose ..."?

mfs378

May 19, 2003
You must be having fun playing devil's advocate. Do you honestly believe that Clark would have chosen war?

The military is a complex tool in foreign policy. We don't always use it when we threaten to, sometimes we use it without warning, etc. Whenever a troublespot pops up, you can bet we are going to send a carrier to the coast. Does that mean we are going to invade? No. But it sends a message. It puts the card on the table, so to speak. America does it all the time. Ever hear the phrase 'speak softly and carry a big stick?'

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: FrodoB
The bottom line is this - if you support Clark, you are an easily manipulated fool. He is NOT there as a regular candidate. Like someone mentioned earlier, he is there to weaken Dean. It's all part of Hillary 2008. The Clintons know that Bush is going easily defeat any of the Democrat stiffs. The Clintons have always been about Power. They do NOT want a Democrat to win this year because that will virtually guarantee that Hillary will never be able to run.
That you heartsurgeon?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

IMO and likely Bush's;) the UN didn't do as Clark suggested.

But whatever - support Clark for his anti-this-war views I guess.:)

CkG

Why don't you just stop while you're not ahead RoboCad?

mfs378

May 19, 2003
Originally posted by: FrodoB

Clinton must be kicking himself then, Clark is looking good in many of the polls. What a joke, you must be an easily manipulated fool. Did you get your daily fill of Limbaugh today?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

And what did Clark say next?

He starts talking about Al Qaida and about a bigger(broader) picture - basically the WOT.:)

CkG

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Everything Clark said (originally) was true. I'm a Democrat and I'm definitely voting for Bush in November.