Civilization V: Brave New World

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 3, 2004
Annoyingly so. G&K was a bit too war hungry, but BNW is kinda boring.

I usually play on a Huge/Extreme Earth map with 12 civs, 8 CS... this used to work really well, but now even by 2000 AD they usually only have like 3 or 4 cities, and still 8 tiles between borders. No one has been taken over, maybe 1 AI city was lost to some other AI.

Forces me to be an asshole to make it entertaining, rather than reacting to other civs.

what difficulty are you at

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I find that if you give them lots of breathing room they leave you a lone, but if you press their borders or take their resources they get pretty belligerent. AngryJoe has a video up of him playing and he starts different than me, he was taking the key areas where he'd control the best resources while I've always liked to use my cities to create a zone of control. The AI leaves me a lone while they were making threats against him and getting mad.

I'm going to try playing like that, maybe I need to revise my Civ thinking after playing all the early ones with tons and tons of cities and roads.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Anyone else noticing that research is taking forever? My friends and I have an assortment of games going, and we are lagging WAY behind history in a lot of research. Like, not getting flight until 1960. This was never a problem for us in G&K or vanilla Civ 5.

Also, is it just me, or are the barbarians a little more... everywhere all the time?

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
On harder difficulties the computer always researched faster. Use your espionage and build science buildings, also build the wonders that will give you research bonuses and free tech.

techie81

Feb 11, 2008
Anyone else noticing that research is taking forever? My friends and I have an assortment of games going, and we are lagging WAY behind history in a lot of research. Like, not getting flight until 1960. This was never a problem for us in G&K or vanilla Civ 5.

Also, is it just me, or are the barbarians a little more... everywhere all the time?

Watching several playthroughs barbarians seem to be much more aggressive.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I feel like BNW "default" barbarians are about equal to turning Raging Barbareons on in G&K.

one note about science, you take a slight hit to how much science each tech requires the more cities you have, so if you've got an extremely large empire, that could be it.

unless you're going for a domination victory, there doesn't seem to be much point in expanding beyond 4-6 cities. (personally, I plan on 4 and only grow to 5-6 if I happen to stumble on a great location -- eg: luxury resource or natural wonder, or I need a foothold on a different continent to gear up for a military invasion)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
On harder difficulties the computer always researched faster. Use your espionage and build science buildings, also build the wonders that will give you research bonuses and free tech.

Oh, we're a bunch of Wonder building whores over here. In this case, the games have been on the middle difficulty (I never remember the names) since we are still trying to get a feel for the new dynamics.

Watching several playthroughs barbarians seem to be much more aggressive.

I feel like BNW "default" barbarians are about equal to turning Raging Barbareons on in G&K.

They actually attacked a couple of our cities the other night, it was very surprising. They also keep trashing my trade routes.

one note about science, you take a slight hit to how much science each tech requires the more cities you have, so if you've got an extremely large empire, that could be it.

unless you're going for a domination victory, there doesn't seem to be much point in expanding beyond 4-6 cities. (personally, I plan on 4 and only grow to 5-6 if I happen to stumble on a great location -- eg: luxury resource or natural wonder, or I need a foothold on a different continent to gear up for a military invasion)

I tend to stick with 2-3 cities, and that's what we all had the other night. We were on a team, do you think that it was counting us as 1 player with 8 cities and upping the research requirement accordingly?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Two full games and not once has another Civ declared war on me. This is on Prince and King difficulties. I've had some aggressive Civ's in the game, so it's not like I have 4-7 Ghandi's I'm going against. This is somewhat disappointing.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Two full games and not once has another Civ declared war on me. This is on Prince and King difficulties. I've had some aggressive Civ's in the game, so it's not like I have 4-7 Ghandi's I'm going against. This is somewhat disappointing.

what map size/how many civs?

when in doubt, adjust the Civ:City State ratio... I usually add to civs and remove 2 CS's on my "standard" maps.