Civilization V: Brave New World

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
For people who had pre-ordered at it 10% off not just a week ago. Then it went on sale for, what, 30% off? I guess they figured it was bad policy.

Thing is, I already have Civ IV, which I bet is true of most people who have Civ V.

yep.

I appreciate the gesture, even if I'll never install Civ 4... a $5 DLC credit or something would have been cool, I've been looking for a reason to buy the extra civs (but the Gold upgrade seems like a waste if I've already got both expansions)

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
All this really does is reinforce the behavior of PC gamers to skip release day purchases and wait for the Steam sale. In this case I actually agree somewhat with EA that Steam is devaluating the worth of the IP when Steam turns around and gives a big sale just days after release.

As some of you already stated here, it makes you feel cheated.

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
All this really does is reinforce the behavior of PC gamers to skip release day purchases and wait for the Steam sale. In this case I actually agree somewhat with EA that Steam is devaluating the worth of the IP when Steam turns around and gives a big sale just days after release.

So the game industry has won the battle with DLC...why do you think $30 is a good price for a DLC for Civ5 when really some of this stuff should have been in the original game? And the publishers have to agree to be on Steam summer sale right...so they apparently know that $30 for a DLC for their game is ridiculous....or else why put it on the Steam summer sale right at release date? Can't believe people would be willing to fork out $30 for it.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I dont think the $30 price tag is that out of line. For myself at least I only buy a couple games a year and I play the hell out of them. So if I bought a couple 30 dollar games and play them for a couple hundred hours its really pretty cheap entertainment.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Yup. And Civ IV is an odd choice to compensate when most own it I suspect.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
So the game industry has won the battle with DLC...why do you think $30 is a good price for a DLC for Civ5 when really some of this stuff should have been in the original game? And the publishers have to agree to be on Steam summer sale right...so they apparently know that $30 for a DLC for their game is ridiculous....or else why put it on the Steam summer sale right at release date? Can't believe people would be willing to fork out $30 for it.

$30 seems to be pretty standard expansion-pack pricing for PC games.

I'd differentiate between an expansion and DLC, though.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
One thing on pricing:

PC Games have had a AAA list price of about $60 for decades - despite inflation and the cost to develop increasing greatly.

The market seems averse to buying a title at $150.

But when you price a release at $60, and issue two expansions at $30 each, or four DLC at $20 each, you get up to that $100-$150 price range for a game.

Which actually seems fair in some cases for the cost and entertainment delivered.

It's just having to be done in these 'alternative models' becasue that's how customers are willing to spend that much - not paying that much in one purchase.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Yup. And Civ IV is an odd choice to compensate when most own it I suspect.

I bet Steam/Valve has a ton of Civ4 keys that aren't worth but a few dollars for occasional deals and tossed them to people to lessen the feeling of being cheated. What should have happened was that everyone that bought the game before the sale should have been refunded the difference.

I like expansions as a form of additional revenue generation for companies. It lengthens the gaming experience when done right and I get the choice of whether I want to participate at the time. It's far superior to the DLC nickel and diming or the F2P stuff going on.

Expansions at least required some time/effort investment on the developers part, day 1 DLC just feels like a complete ripoff.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I'll say this: Brave New World is the best DLC I've ever bought. Man, the last half of Civ 5 is soooooooo much better. So many things you can do and the ability to change your path is perfect.

Current game, focused on military and culture, about midway started hammering with tourism. Even though I founded a religion early on, I let another Civ's religion dominate my cities. Now about 600 turns in, I'm easily able to bible bomb my cities and turn it around on the Civ that pushed so hard at the beginning, all the while I have another Civ on the brink of a Tourism/Culture flip. In fact, they focused so much on religion that their military is very weak and allows me the opportunity to blitzkrieg their asses.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Better than Civ 4: BTS? I mean, I realize there's a lot more room for improvement this time around, but still.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I'll say this: Brave New World is the best DLC I've ever bought. Man, the last half of Civ 5 is soooooooo much better. So many things you can do and the ability to change your path is perfect.

Current game, focused on military and culture, about midway started hammering with tourism. Even though I founded a religion early on, I let another Civ's religion dominate my cities. Now about 600 turns in, I'm easily able to bible bomb my cities and turn it around on the Civ that pushed so hard at the beginning, all the while I have another Civ on the brink of a Tourism/Culture flip. In fact, they focused so much on religion that their military is very weak and allows me the opportunity to blitzkrieg their asses.

How's the AI now at war and trade? Ah why am I asking, I'm just going to buy it anyway. I mean Gods and Kings turned the game around a lot for me, this should just be icing.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Better than Civ 4: BTS? I mean, I realize there's a lot more room for improvement this time around, but still.

Okay, maybe not as good as BTS, but it does so much for CIV5 that without it, I'm not sure I would have kept playing Civ5

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
How's the AI now at war and trade? Ah why am I asking, I'm just going to buy it anyway. I mean Gods and Kings turned the game around a lot for me, this should just be icing.

Well, I have the Celts, Greeks, Huns and Romans in my current game and no one wagered war against me. I have waged war against the Celts (destroyed them), Romans (destroyed them) and Greeks (first time they beat me back, second time, I'm destroying them). They don't seem to spit out as many units as they used to, and they just seem less reluctant to engage in a war. They still will Denounce you, but seems like the finger is held back from the trigger.

As for trading, I didn't get much into it because I felt the use of Trade Routes, Spies and dealing with City-States gave me what I needed. I had little use for trading, even trading for Open Borders.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004

AI is a lot more peaceful now.

Neighbors are still always a concern, but it seems they value friendships (and trade routes) enough to not be constantly attacking you for no reason (like in G&K).

From what i've gathered though, due to this and other factors, it's much easier now than G&K, at least according to some of the best players out there.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
My friends are loving the World Congress I know, unfortunately with how late we start games I usually have to go to bed before I get to play with any of the new stuff. I woke up for work this morning and they were still playing, bastards :D

Nov 3, 2004

What exactly is your definition of DLC? Anything that can be downloaded? Because BNW is an expansion pack, something that normally has and would cost $30. It's added so much more to the game that it's well worth it.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
What should have happened was that everyone that bought the game before the sale should have been refunded the difference.

Why? If you buy it at $30 you clearly have no problem paying $30. If it's worth less to you then you wouldn't have bought it. I don't understand this. They have no obligation to fix "hurt feelings".

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Why? If you buy it at $30 you clearly have no problem paying $30. If it's worth less to you then you wouldn't have bought it. I don't understand this. They have no obligation to fix "hurt feelings".

The same reason Newegg will price match purchases to account for discounts/sales that occur for up to ~2 weeks after your purchase date. There's a right way to do business and a wrong way.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

Of course there's no obligation. There's also no obligation for customers that feel cheated to shop with them anymore. Amazon and others have better sales lately than Steam, having better customer satisfaction keeps people coming back. Squander that and they go elsewhere. That's the only reason.

Nov 3, 2004

No, but he may not have bought it at $30 if he had an expectation that a cheaper price would be available within weeks. The company itself would have a strong incentive to not discount it, if only to preserve the apparent value of future new offerings.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
For anyone that didn't get the pre-release discounts or the steam sale blooper, GMG has BNW on sale for $21 after entering the coupon.

GMG

Code is on the right side.

The Green Bean

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2003
I'm addicted. I must have spend 100s of hours on Civ4 and while I couldn't get into Civ 5, I'm starting to like BNW.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just noticed, the gold upgrade includes all the DLC *and* Gods and Kings for $5?

Wow, that's a steal.

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
AI is a lot more peaceful now.
Annoyingly so. G&K was a bit too war hungry, but BNW is kinda boring.

I usually play on a Huge/Extreme Earth map with 12 civs, 8 CS... this used to work really well, but now even by 2000 AD they usually only have like 3 or 4 cities, and still 8 tiles between borders. No one has been taken over, maybe 1 AI city was lost to some other AI.

Forces me to be an asshole to make it entertaining, rather than reacting to other civs.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Annoyingly so. G&K was a bit too war hungry, but BNW is kinda boring.

I usually play on a Huge/Extreme Earth map with 12 civs, 8 CS... this used to work really well, but now even by 2000 AD they usually only have like 3 or 4 cities, and still 8 tiles between borders. No one has been taken over, maybe 1 AI city was lost to some other AI.

Forces me to be an asshole to make it entertaining, rather than reacting to other civs.

Try adding a few civs... I play on standard with 12 civs and they all end up being fairly antagonistic.