Civilization V: Brave New World

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I'll pick it up, and I guess upgrade to the gold edition since that's only $5. Can't really beat that.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
wow... once again, preorders fucked by Steam as the game goes on sale 2 days after release. :rolleyes:

would they price match if you haven't downloaded it yet? In today's market it almost never pays to buy without waiting at least 3 months.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
would they price match if you haven't downloaded it yet? In today's market it almost never pays to buy without waiting at least 3 months.

Unless of course waiting 3 months isn't worth $10 to you. Less then a week on the other hand seems pretty insane haha. I bought at full price like 3 days ago thinking "it JUST came out, no way it goes on sale" I now know the error of my ways.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Not to be too much an ass, but this is pretty typical of Steam unfortunately. Never buy anything before the summer sales. :p

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
I don't get it...it shows $20 on the front page of Steam sales, but once I click it the game and add to cart, I'm getting $30....

EDIT: And now everything is showing $30. Lame.

Last edited:

Madia

May 2, 2006
I'll pick it up, and I guess upgrade to the gold edition since that's only $5. Can't really beat that.

I upgraded to gold even though I already had both expansions. Some of the DLC civs are good and I particularly wanted both Babylon and Korea since I often go for science victories. $5 is definitely worth it to upgrade.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Wow, good sale by steam!

I really didn't expect them to put such a new game on sale, even if it's only an expansion. Good on steam.

On that note, this expansion is really fun. It really makes the late game more dynamic. But that's mainly because I was never much for warmongering. The AI's seem a bit too passive on the other end... I think some civs need to be tweaked to have increased aggressiveness or have betters ways of reducing expansion penalty earlier with specific traits.

Not all mind you. I like that there's more civ that are building tall outside of Gandhi, but it seems that it's almost the complete opposite. Outside of one civ, everyone is building tall, lol. I just hope there isn't going to be a bunch of city spams at end game where civs settle on one tile islands without any resource nearby...

Madia

May 2, 2006
It's $24.99 now for gold, was $4.99?

Should have picked up the 3-wonder pack, the only DLC I dont' have, on sale.

$5 was the cost to upgrade you regular edition to gold. If you go to the CIV 5 steam page you should see an option to upgrade there.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I picked up the expansion and started playing a game on super easy to learn the mechanics. There are a lot of choices you can make, so it'll take a while to learn all the nuances. So far so good, though.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
So is there any chance that I, someone who hated vanilla Civ 5 more than WindowsME and Master of Orion 3 combined, would enjoy what Civ 5 has become, or should I place another order for specialty toilet paper with the Civ 5 devs faces printed on it? :p

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
$5 was the cost to upgrade you regular edition to gold. If you go to the CIV 5 steam page you should see an option to upgrade there.

Hm, didn't see it.

But I have everything but that one DLC with three wonders now.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
So is there any chance that I, someone who hated vanilla Civ 5 more than WindowsME and Master of Orion 3 combined, would enjoy what Civ 5 has become, or should I place another order for specialty toilet paper with the Civ 5 devs faces printed on it? :p

I hadn't played much of it since release because I hated it. I like it more than Civ4 now. It's worth getting with the expansions now.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Anyone else get Civ IV for free because they put BNW on sale yesterday?

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Anyone else unable to play the game because it crashes during the menu's before you can start a game?

TheNewGuy

Feb 16, 2001
is that what it's from?

I saw that it was available to download for free, but didn't think much about it.

Yeah...that's what it's from....when I logged in this morning, there was a popup apologizing for the sale, and they gave the civ iv as a means of apology...

Dave

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yeah...that's what it's from....when I logged in this morning, there was a popup apologizing for the sale, and they gave the civ iv as a means of apology...

Dave

What did they apologize for? Ibought the new expansion on sale for $20...

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
What did they apologize for? Ibought the new expansion on sale for $20...

For people who had pre-ordered at it 10% off not just a week ago. Then it went on sale for, what, 30% off? I guess they figured it was bad policy.

Thing is, I already have Civ IV, which I bet is true of most people who have Civ V.