Civilization V: Brave New World

Madia

May 2, 2006
Civilization V: Brave New World was just announced as the second expansion to Civ 5. The main crux seems to be an overhaul of culture and diplomacy alongside adding new leaders, wonders, etc. Here's links to two interviews:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/15/c...orld-announced-expands-culture-and-diplomacy/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/15/civilization-v-brave-new-world-preview/

I bought and enjoyed Civ 5 but haven't played it since it's initial release. I did buy Gods and Kings for something like $3.75 during green man gaming's Christmas sale but never got around to playing it. Right now I'm in the middle of playing Skyrim again with the Dragonborn DLC but after that I'll probably give Civ 5 another go.

Last edited:

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Cool. The original game was somewhat disappointing upon release, but it received continual patches and updates such that it is now a decent Civ game. Definitely not as epic as Civ 4, but still plenty good.

I actually took to playing the GOTY edition (the original + Gods & Kings) again recently. Glad they are supporting it with another expansion.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
Cool. The original game was somewhat disappointing upon release, but it received continual patches and updates such that it is now a decent Civ game. Definitely not as epic as Civ 4, but still plenty good.

I actually took to playing the GOTY edition (the original + Gods & Kings) again recently. Glad they are supporting it with another expansion.

So is Civ4+Expansions > Civ5+expansions still?

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011

I would argue that at this point they are fairly comparable. It just took Civ 5 a long time to get to the point it should have been upon release.

sunzt

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 2003
I would argue that at this point they are fairly comparable. It just took Civ 5 a long time to get to the point it should have been upon release.

Would i need the Civ 5 DLCs to get it to that level?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Would i need the Civ 5 DLCs to get it to that level?

yes.

gods and kings is a great expansion and its on sale every other month or so. I'd pick up the GOTY edition while you're at it since it adds a bunch of civs.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

Civ 4 took a lot of time and DLCs to become the game that we all love as well. On release there were all sorts of problems with it.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I recently started playing Civ V. I've never played a Civ game before. So far it's pretty fun, but I find I get bored around the renaissance/industrial era, because by that time I usually have a big enough lead that it's just a grind to the finish. That could be because I go for a conquest victory usually, and taking out city after city gets pretty repetitive.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
I recently started playing Civ V. I've never played a Civ game before. So far it's pretty fun, but I find I get bored around the renaissance/industrial era, because by that time I usually have a big enough lead that it's just a grind to the finish. That could be because I go for a conquest victory usually, and taking out city after city gets pretty repetitive.

Play at a higher difficulty. There is no way that's possible on deity.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007

The best part of the game for me is exploring and claiming new land, and the combat up until artillery. After you've fully explored the map and all land has been claimed, I get a little bored. It's also not much fun fighting a civ on the other side of the map and having to wait 15 turns for your units to get there.

Madia

May 2, 2006
yes.

gods and kings is a great expansion and its on sale every other month or so. I'd pick up the GOTY edition while you're at it since it adds a bunch of civs.

Are any of the DLC's worth it on their own when they're 75% off? Even for $1.25 they still seem too expensive for just one extra civilization and a scenario. I'm guessing they're a nice bonus for those who buy a Civ 5 ultra edition but not worth it in their own.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Civ 4 took a lot of time and DLCs to become the game that we all love as well. On release there were all sorts of problems with it.

People always forget this. Vanilla Civ 4 was pretty good, certainly better than vanilla Civ 5. The Warlords expansion was pretty mediocre though. BTS was just an absolutely phenomenal expansion and people somewhat unfairly judge Civ 5 against it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

Has that been fixed? At launch,I played through on Diety pretty easily, until I hit the city limit.

Is pacing still broke? Ie, by the time I train my first musket, I just developed rifling.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
People always forget this. Vanilla Civ 4 was pretty good, certainly better than vanilla Civ 5. The Warlords expansion was pretty mediocre though. BTS was just an absolutely phenomenal expansion and people somewhat unfairly judge Civ 5 against it.

I'd argue that since it's Civ *5*, it should be at least as complete as BTS. BTS is the foundation upon which Civ 5 should have been built.

Maligx

Aug 25, 2008
I'd argue that since it's Civ *5*, it should be at least as complete as BTS. BTS is the foundation upon which Civ 5 should have been built.

This

Sadly it's all about milking through dlcs. Look at the sims.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i want to love Civ 5, i really do, but after firing it up 3 times with months between them and finishing a game each time i just don't "feel it".

el-Capitan

Apr 24, 2012
BTS remains the best Civ of all.

But Civ5 has grown since initial release and the 1UPT on hex requires a new take on tactics. Quite refreshing to go beyond the SOD and spamming units.

No mods in multiplayer is very very sad. I agree.

With the sales on every month or so I think it is a definite buy.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Has that been fixed? At launch,I played through on Diety pretty easily, until I hit the city limit.

Is pacing still broke? Ie, by the time I train my first musket, I just developed rifling.

That doesn't sound right, so maybe it was broken/fixed at some point. Deity is pretty punishing, to the point where it's even unwinnable at points imo, especially if you don't get a good starting location.

I don't like this line of thinking. Building a franchise, or a game, is not a cumulative exercise.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010

To some the merit of the game is irrelevant to the fact that it doesn't have IV in front of it.

Civ V vanilla was kinda weak but it has improved in recent expansions, much the same way IV improved through the same method. Civ IV BTS is considered the pinnacle of the Civilization series, but Civ V is still very much worth playing.

It does play a bit differently so if you go into it expecting Civ IV Part 2 you'll be disappointed. I personally love V, though I wish they would decrease hex size and thus increase density accordingly.