Civilization 4

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
Has anyone here played Civ4? I see that is only $10 on D2D and I've always thought of getting it.

I am a big fan of Simcity franchise, Cesar and Medieval. Is it in comparison to those?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
The turn based game is more in depth than mideval: TW. It's more like Europa Universalis with better graphics. I have it and I enjoyed the game, for $10, its a definite bargain.

If you have any love for 4X games, Civ 4 is not a bad place to start.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Has anyone played Civ4? It's only one of the most loved franchises of all time :D. Give it a go, and warning: Civ addition is probable.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Civ 2 was better but Civ 4 is decent.

See what price the Civ 4 complete pack is (Civ 4 + 2 expansions + Colonisation remake). It's probably worth it.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Civ4 complete goes for around $35-$40. If you're sure that Civ gameplay is for you, then it's a must-buy, especially for someone who doesn't have the game or any of the expansions.

Otherwise Civ4 vanilla for $10 might be a better choice if you're unsure about it.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
You must get Beyond the Sword if you get Civ 4.

That being said, Civ 2 and SMAC were better games. But, Civ 4 is excellent.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I found all the Civilization games to be addictive... you get suckered into that "just one more turn" trap and all of a sudden, you start hearing birds chirping outside and realize that it's 6 am and you've got work in 2 hours.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
You can get Civilization 3 + all expansion packs for $5 on Steam. Amazing deal imo, I've had countless hours of fun with it.

NLOCliff

May 5, 2009
Originally posted by: Homerboy
must... resist... reinstalling...

"You cannot resist the power of the dark side of the force"

Civ 4 is amazing. I recommend that you get it, the two expansions, and the spin-off.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: NLOCliff

Civ 4 is amazing. I recommend that you get it, the two expansions, and the spin-off.

I actually just searched back for this thread to see whats going on with it.... Civ IV is starting to seep in again....

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

did the expansions actually add anything noteworthy? I remember seeing a couple Civ3 expansions, but they just threw in stuff I had no interest in like scenarios and multiplayer.

SpunkyJones

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Elcs
Civ 2 was better but Civ 4 is decent.

See what price the Civ 4 complete pack is (Civ 4 + 2 expansions + Colonisation remake). It's probably worth it.

This. Civ II my all time favorite game, but Civ 4 is a lot of fun.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: loki8481
I found all the Civilization games to be addictive... you get suckered into that "just one more turn" trap and all of a sudden, you start hearing birds chirping outside and realize that it's 6 am and you've got work in 2 hours.

OMG, were you spying on me?!? :Q

NoWhereM

Oct 15, 2007
Originally posted by: dguy6789
You can get Civilization 3 + all expansion packs for $5 on Steam. Amazing deal imo, I've had countless hours of fun with it.

I didn't know they had Civilization 3 Complete on steam for $5, that is a pretty good deal.

As far as which is best, it's a matter of taste. I've got them all, played them all for countless hours. I like Civ 3, though there were a few game play changes I didn't like. Those were continued in Civ 4, however, and even more gameplay changes I didn't like added. As far as the expansions for Civ 4, I really liked Warlords but felt absolutely cheated after buying Beyond the Sword. After buying that expasion I promised myself I'd never buy another Civilization game at full price again.

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
4+BTS is the best one, only rivaled by Alpha Centauri. I really didn't like 3 much.. my ranking is maybe 4>2>1>3. Though it's hard to rank 1... yeah the later games were better, but 1 was fantastic for its time.

The BTS expansion is the only Civ expansion I've really liked. (Alien Crossfire for Alpha Centauri was pretty good too.)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: acheron
4+BTS is the best one, only rivaled by Alpha Centauri. I really didn't like 3 much.. my ranking is maybe 4>2>1>3. Though it's hard to rank 1... yeah the later games were better, but 1 was fantastic for its time.

The BTS expansion is the only Civ expansion I've really liked. (Alien Crossfire for Alpha Centauri was pretty good too.)

I agree. 1 was fantastic and is hard to rate as it was still complex, but a simplified version of 2. 2 is still the best balance of added complexity yet simplified play, but 4 adds a lot to the series and comes out as best overall.

I hated 3 for its' over-the-top AI Cheating(impossibly high number of Units) and the freakking time the AI took to Move all those Units(usually the same way for each type). Towards the end of a game you could literally go eat dinner in between turns.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

did the expansions actually add anything noteworthy? I remember seeing a couple Civ3 expansions, but they just threw in stuff I had no interest in like scenarios and multiplayer.

yes. Very much so. Plus there's all the damned user mods too... ugh...
STOP IT PEOPLE. I WILL NOT INSTALL!!!! ITS SUMMER!!!! I HAVE A WIFE AND CHILDREN AND A JOB!!!!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

yes. Very much so. Plus there's all the damned user mods too... ugh...
STOP IT PEOPLE. I WILL NOT INSTALL!!!! ITS SUMMER!!!! I HAVE A WIFE AND CHILDREN AND A JOB!!!!

Quit Job, Divorce Wife, surrender Custody, WIN!