Civil War in Lebanon

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
Originally posted by: Jhhnn
Please. Gotta love the way that the rabid right instantly blames it on teh ebil Syrians. The only reason the civil war stopped the first time was that the Syrians sent troops, put the lid on. The Bush Admin and the Israelis couldn't stand that, insisted that the Syrians leave, so that the Israelis could bomb the piss out of lebanon over a minor border incident...
Dude have you ever been to Lebanon? Have you ever seen the Syrian "forces" in Lebanon? They didn't have sht. Nothing that would stand against 1 day of conflict with the IDF.
Hell hadn't they not agreed to get out of Lebanon after they killed our pride PM harriri, we would have kicked them out with mere hunting rifles and shotguns let alone Lebanese militias. They didn't even have 1 single effective anti-craft measure. The only reason Syrian forces were in Lebanon after the civil war, was to symbolize Syrian control, that and to backup the terrorist intelligence units they had in their that did nothing but kidnap any free Lebanese objecting to Syrian cruelty and criticizing their policies.
Syrian forces were and still ARE the disgrace off all that is Arabic and Muslim.They were nothing but a bunch of thugs and thieves that the Lebanese ISF ( Internal Security Forces) were commanded by their higher ups to not arrest nor attack NO MATTER WHAT.

I have seen nice and roomy houses in Lebanon with values north of $200,000 being taken over by Syrian troops with no one raising a finger nor uttering a word in fear that they would get kidnapped and never see the sun again. They were ruthless savages that did Lebanon the worst of disfavors.

I have little doubt that current flareup is quite in line with what the Israelis and the Bush Admin want, and have been working towards all along. "Creative Destruction" is what they call it...

This is exactly what Bush and his Israeli gang want:

1- Hizbollah getting hated more and more each day by Lebanese Christians and Muslims
2- Lebanon is destroyed again after all the post-civil war rebuilding, middle-east tourism and trade (which Lebanon had a huge chunk of) deflects from Lebanon and straight into Israel making them $$$ on top of $$$
3- Lebanon is weakened and falls apart on the long run which means more and more of #2
4- Hizbollah busies itself with the internal struggle, isolating it from anything that has to do with Israel for decades maybe.
5- Syria's bargaining chip is Lebanon, Hizbollah would have to kill and or subjugate almost every Sunni and Maronite Christian in it's way to get the full control. Then on top of it, they will have to fight with the combined LAF / UN force in the southern Lebanon area, giving the west and the Arab world the perfect excuse to insert their forces and fight Hizbollah and their allies.

I could keep going forever, the bottom line is, whenever Lebanon is weakened everyone else benefits.

This is the downside of being tolerant to Shiites in your country, they take over at some point.
Every Shiite I have talked to thinks they have this divine Islamic right to be the leaders and masters of Lebanon. Never have the Shiites moved my country forward, Sunnis, Christians and Druze bring business, bring civilization, bring investments, prepare educated generations that believe in freedom and equal rights. While on the other hand, the Shiites bring destruction, nagging and more destruction, then Shiite Islamic Fascist states.

I am ashamed, but I have to admit, the only entity on this planet that has communicated with the Shiites in Lebanon in the language they understand is the IDF. Criminals need Criminals to communicate with.

I had been patient before, but I have just had it. No one goes near the Shiites in Lebanon, no one inflicts injustice against them, they are equally represented in parliament, they have equal rights, yet they still complain and complain, the Shiite community in Lebanon in general doesn't deserve an equal citizen treatment any longer. They have become traitors and need be all hanged where they are found. We have hanged traitors before we can do it again.

I say let the drums of war sound, the Lebanese have been tolerating Shiite discontent and violence for decades, the Shiites have managed somehow to drain our sea of patience, the more Sunnis and Christians hold back their anger for the sake of the country, the more Shiites think no one dares take action against them.

Let their be no more silence, either there is a free and progressive Lebanon, or their should be no Lebanon at all.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Gawd, TLC, I can't hope to compare to the magnificent spin of Condi et al. Yeh, sure, there were Lebanese who wanted the Syrians out- their rightwing has just as short a memory as our own...

And the whole bit about how Israel went after Hezbollah, not Lebanon, is exquisite. They bombed the Beirut airport, fer crissakes... bridges, port facilities, even targets in Christian neighborhoods in Beirut.

Amnesty International had this to say- yeh, go ahead, attack the source-

?The Lebanese government estimates that 31 ?vital points? (such as airports, ports, water and sewage treatment plants, electrical facilities) have been completely or partially destroyed, as have around 80 bridges and 94 roads. More than 25 fuel stations and around 900 commercial enterprises were hit. The number of residential properties, offices and shops completely destroyed exceeds 30,000. Two government hospitals?in Bint Jbeil and in Meis al-Jebel?were completely destroyed in Israeli attacks and three others were seriously damaged,? the report stated.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/2...aug2006/amne-a25.shtml

Water and Sewage treatment plants are somehow Hezbollah strongholds?

When the Syrians pulled out, there wasn't anybody left with enough clout to contain Hezbollah or any of the other factions- that was entirely obvious, and quite intentional... just what the Neocons wanted.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
Please. Gotta love the way that the rabid right instantly blames it on teh ebil Syrians. The only reason the civil war stopped the first time was that the Syrians sent troops, put the lid on. The Bush Admin and the Israelis couldn't stand that, insisted that the Syrians leave, so that the Israelis could bomb the piss out of lebanon over a minor border incident...

I have little doubt that current flareup is quite in line with what the Israelis and the Bush Admin want, and have been working towards all along. "Creative Destruction" is what they call it...
Yeah, it's similar to how the looney left instantly blames everything on Bush or Israel.

And your revisionist history about Bush and the Israelis insisting that Syria leave is quite the chuckle. You might want to refresh yourself on that because that's not quite how it happened.

Sheesh, TLC, is it your memory or your google-fu that's defective? I could cover pages with references to how it all came down- here's just one that sums it up...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/e.../18/content_417378.htm

lmao EPIC FAIL for TLC. Nice.

Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, it's similar to how the looney left instantly blames everything on Bush or Israel.

And your revisionist history about Bush and the Israelis insisting that Syria leave is quite the chuckle. You might want to refresh yourself on that because that's not quite how it happened.

Sheesh, TLC, is it your memory or your google-fu that's defective? I could cover pages with references to how it all came down- here's just one that sums it up...

Chinadaily? You couldn't find anything to support your claim in the normal MSM?

Here, how about this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/...on.protests/index.html

BEIRUT, Lebanon -- The United States supports the Lebanese people's expression of democratic aspirations, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has said.

Meanwhile Tuesday, Lebanon's pro-Syrian president was searching for a new prime minister to replace Omar Karami, who resigned following two weeks of protests over the killing of former prime minister Rafik Hariri.

Thousands of demonstrators, awash in a sea of red, white and green Lebanese flags, have been demanding the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon since last month's assassination of Hariri, who opposed Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

Speaking in London Tuesday, the day after the toppling of the Syrian-backed government by what the media called "people power," Rice offered support to Lebanon for free and fair elections.

The Lebanese ousted the Syrians, Jhhnn. And Hezbollah acted of their own accord in invading Israel and kidnapping the soldiers, to which Israel responded by going after Hezbollah, not Lebanon. Claiming that the ouster of the Syrians and Israel's response to Hezbollah are somehow related is looney left conspiracy wackiness at its absolute finest.
One can only assume you're being intentionally dense concerning my statement.

Did Israel go after the Lebanese government or were they going after Hezbollah?

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Arkaign

lmao EPIC FAIL for TLC. Nice.

If you want to butt-pat Jhhnn's denseness, help yourself.

:thumbsup:

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: piasabird
Claims by CNN state Civil War has broken out in Lebanon between the ruling government and Hezbolah. The fighting is literally neighborhood against neighborhood.

So since Iran is probably the main backer behind the Hezbolah terrorist group, is this the work of Iran? I would say that it is. The only answer is to attack Iran in retaliation. Cut off the head of the snake and the money will quit flowing. How long will Isreal sit idly by while Iran tries to control the entire middle east? Is no one going to try to stop Iran from doing whatever it wants to destoy other countries with terrorists from Hezbolah? Where are the peacekeepers that the UN Promised? Are the French Gutless?

I guess we will sit idly by while Hezbolah and Iran destroy another country in the Middle East.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/...n.hezbollah/index.html

If it's hood against hood in NY, is that then civil war?

This is just politics, no one cares in the world but you and the nitwit that dredged up this story.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Does anyone need reminding that the Israeli negligent occupation of Lebanon was the driving force for the creation of Hezbolah in the first place. And after the Syrian occupation
of Lebanon became untenable, we still await a stable Lebanese government able to unite or defend the country. At least IMHO, taking on Hezbollah over what amounts to a trivial phone network issue is not smart. But will have the predicted outcome of collapsing the government and making Hezbollah stronger. Which will likely result in renewed Israeli air strikes that will only make Hezbollah more popular in Lebanon and the larger Arab world.

Rinse and repeat, the unbroken 60 year history of the Arab Israeli conflict. Only the names change but the idiots on all sides still remain driving even more stupidity as the world learns how to pass create more terrorism 101 with an A++.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Why did Israel go into Lebanon in the first place?

To clean out some trouble makers that set up shop there.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Does anyone need reminding that the Israeli negligent occupation of Lebanon was the driving force for the creation of Hezbolah in the first place. And after the Syrian occupation
of Lebanon became untenable, we still await a stable Lebanese government able to unite or defend the country. At least IMHO, taking on Hezbollah over what amounts to a trivial phone network issue is not smart. But will have the predicted outcome of collapsing the government and making Hezbollah stronger. Which will likely result in renewed Israeli air strikes that will only make Hezbollah more popular in Lebanon and the larger Arab world.

Rinse and repeat, the unbroken 60 year history of the Arab Israeli conflict. Only the names change but the idiots on all sides still remain driving even more stupidity as the world learns how to pass create more terrorism 101 with an A++.

Hezbollah was created due to the 1982 war, the Lebon civil war. Which also had "surprise surpruse" Irans fingertips in it. As much as you love pointing fingers at Israel for all of the Middle Easts problems if Iran stopped trying to attack Israel through proxy wars many of these messes would not have been created in the first place.

As well, the clusterfuck that was the Lebon civil war could not solely rest on Israels soldiers. That war was insane in its complexities and has been brewing since the Ottoman empire had control.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The Hezbolah just can not stand the fact that Lebanon wanted to elect their leaders. Democracy is the enemy of facist Muslim extremists. They fear democracy and freedom more than life itself.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
The Hezbolah just can not stand the fact that Lebanon wanted to elect their leaders. Democracy is the enemy of facist Muslim extremists. They fear democracy and freedom more than life itself.

As much as I agree about your comments I seriously doubt that this was the case. Hezbollah when first created had a creed to make Islamic states, but sort of abandoned that. They actually have some good qualities regarding there care of civilians (when not hiding rockets behind childresn daycare centers). I think a bigger problem was a conversation that probally went like this

Iran: Yeah Hez, when so and so is elected there going to invite Israel/Us to wipe you out.
Hez: Orly?

Hez calls up Government official: Soo whats happening with the occupation
Government official: run around explanation

Iran plays on there fears some more, gives them some new toys ect ect, maybe makes a call to the government saying Hez is planning to overthrow them and bam, it sets off.

Hezbollah and the government distrusted each other. Sadly, and tragically, a Lebanon at unrest benefits both Iran, Israel and the US with there present Agendas. Lebanon never had a chance to be honest with all the big players benefiting them from going down the crapper.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Yeah, no shit.

They should have leveled Lebanon and eliminated the shitheads that continously attack Israel.

Now let's put this into a perspective that even the most daft can understand.

Mexico doesn't like the US annexing it's land so it starts to shoot rockets, several hundreds every week, would they then be justified and would the US be horrific murderers if they went to find those who did the deeds even though they hide among civilians?

Think about it.

OTOH, new consruction sites, Israel? Are you doing your absolute damndest to test our suppurt? You know, you just might lose it if you are going to be arrogant morons.

For now, i support the Israeli attacks against HamasBUT i also support the attacks against new construction on occupied lands.

Now you might ask yourself why i am doing this, what side am i on? Well, i'm a soldier so the answer should be a given, every soldier who is sane is on the side of peace.

Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: RichardE

As much as I agree about your comments I seriously doubt that this was the case. Hezbollah when first created had a creed to make Islamic states, but sort of abandoned that. They actually have some good qualities regarding there care of civilians (when not hiding rockets behind childresn daycare centers). I think a bigger problem was a conversation that probally went like this

Iran: Yeah Hez, when so and so is elected there going to invite Israel/Us to wipe you out.

Iran plays on there fears some more, gives them some new toys ect ect, maybe makes a call to the government saying Hez is planning to overthrow them and bam, it sets off.

Hezbollah and the government distrusted each other. Sadly, and tragically, a Lebanon at unrest benefits both Iran, Israel and the US with there present Agendas. Lebanon never had a chance to be honest with all the big players benefiting them from going down the crapper.

Who the FUCK taught you that bullshit?

Some mental hospital patient?

You have one thing or two that is true but the rest is just made up bullshit and even the things you have right you have stupid reasons for.

Christ, you're daft.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: Common Courtesy

Yeah, no shit.

They should have leveled Lebanon and eliminated the shitheads that continously attack Israel.

Now let's put this into a perspective that even the most daft can understand.

Mexico doesn't like the US annexing it's land so it starts to shoot rockets, several hundreds every week, would they then be justified and would the US be horrific murderers if they went to find those who did the deeds even though they hide among civilians?

Think about it.

OTOH, new consruction sites, Israel? Are you doing your absolute damndest to test our suppurt? You know, you just might lose it if you are going to be arrogant morons.

For now, i support the Israeli attacks against HamasBUT i also support the attacks against new construction on occupied lands.

Now you might ask yourself why i am doing this, what side am i on? Well, i'm a soldier so the answer should be a given, every soldier who is sane is on the side of peace.

They are building in zones they have already said they would not give up in any peace agreement. The majority of all occupied territory is to be given up in a peace agreement and is not being built on. The problem is the Arabs want a "all or nothing" policy, which will not and should not happen.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

So Israel volunteers to be the driving force that creates more anarchy and less democracy by dropping bombs on everyone in Lebanon. Lebanese Christian, Lebanese Sunnis, and Lebanese Sunnis all get to be on the receiving end of Israeli delusional democracy as 10,000 settlers in a nation of six million get to drive the agenda. And at the same time, Arabs in many nations open up their oil rich purse strings and fund Hezbollah. As for Lebanese democracy, forget it as long as Israel does everything to keep it in anarchy. And then have the chutzpah to wonder why there is no Lebanese government that does not hate their guts.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
Originally posted by: RichardE

Who the FUCK taught you that bullshit?

Some mental hospital patient?

You have one thing or two that is true but the rest is just made up bullshit and even the things you have right you have stupid reasons for.

Christ, you're daft.

Says the guy who tried to compare NY street gang fights to a middle east Warzone :laugh:

Either way, yeah I was stretching and putting things in an attempt to explain the situation. It is not as was said "Muslims trying to make a Muslim nation" as Hezbollah doesn't pursue that anymore. To say that Iran had nothing to do with stirring the point is laughable and ignorant.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

So Israel volunteers to be the driving force that creates more anarchy and less democracy by dropping bombs on everyone in Lebanon. Lebanese Christian, Lebanese Sunnis, and Lebanese Sunnis all get to be on the receiving end of Israeli delusional democracy as 10,000 settlers in a nation of six million get to drive the agenda. And at the same time, Arabs in many nations open up their oil rich purse strings and fund Hezbollah. As for Lebanese democracy, forget it as long as Israel does everything to keep it in anarchy. And then have the chutzpah to wonder why there is no Lebanese government that does not hate their guts.

Again, you go on thinking this is nothing but Israel driving this clusterfuck in Lebanon. You must be delusional in your hatred of them. The only thing Israel has volunteered is not going to a full all out war for continuous rocket attacks from Lebannon. Even the recent skirmish was mild in the fact they only went so many miles in.

Arabs have been funding war on Israel since its creation, this is not a recent thing. Its nice and easy to buy heaven with someone says give me a check for x amount of dollars for a holy cause, the people on Israels borders have no problem with funding. The wars been glamorized to the Arabs the same was Hollywood glamorizes war to the west.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
RichardE is delusional indeed to say---Arabs have been funding war on Israel since its creation, this is not a recent thing. Its nice and easy to buy heaven with someone says give me a check for x amount of dollars for a holy cause, the people on Israels borders have no problem with funding. The wars been glamorized to the Arabs the same was Hollywood glamorizes war to the west.

When in fact the USA is almost the sole nation on the planet that has such a pro Israeli press and such a anti Palestinian one. And when it comes to stopping UN resolutions that might slow Israel down, its only the US veto that always stops those.

My position has always been that all sides in this Israeli Palestinian Arab conflict are wrong. The current problem is that its largely the United States that has driven all moderates on all sides out of the peace process. Leaving nothing but extremists want it all types in charge in the respective camps. And in that type of metric, no reasonable compromise will ever occur.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
From RichardE-

Arabs have been funding war on Israel since its creation, this is not a recent thing. Its nice and easy to buy heaven with someone says give me a check for x amount of dollars for a holy cause, the people on Israels borders have no problem with funding. The wars been glamorized to the Arabs the same was Hollywood glamorizes war to the west.

And the Israelis have been funded by western govts and so-called charities, as well... not to mention glamorized in film and song... "Exodus" comes to mind.

And I'll have to disagree with your assertions regarding the basis of the civil war. In may respects, the presence of the Palestinians, people who can't go home, in Lebanese refugee camps for decades played a very large part, as did US and Israeli meddling wrt the Christian Phalangists.

You're right in the sense that the Lebanese have so much foreign intervention and intrigue going on in their country that it's near impossible for them to reach accord. So long as there are fools willing to take the money and listen to the promises, they'll have problems.

None of which excuses Israeli actions in the slightest. their recent attack on Lebanon wasn't aimed at Hezbollah, at all, but at Lebanon in general, simply because the Lebanese govt can't control the Hezbollah- group punishment on the scale of a whole nation. It certainly didn't increase the Lebanese govt's ability to do what the Israelis say they want, that's for sure. So the Israelis, and the US, must want something else entirely...

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
My position has always been that all sides in this Israeli Palestinian Arab conflict are wrong. The current problem is that its largely the United States that has driven all moderates on all sides out of the peace process. Leaving nothing but extremists want-it-all types in charge in the respective camps. And in that type of metric, no reasonable compromise will ever occur.

Yes, because Mahmoud Abbas is such an "extremist"... The man is one of the most moderate leaders to EVER lead the Palestinian people...

Seriously, where do you get this stuff!? :roll:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001

The only answer is to attack Iran in retaliation. Cut off the head of the snake and the money will quit flowing.

You must mean the European countries that fund Iran instead.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007
Three pages of yapping, but no one has provided any REAL insight.... how do we make money off of this conflict? :thumbsup: :beer:

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
i don't understand why we don't send them all to their 72 virgins and take the oil.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
RichardE is delusional indeed to say---Arabs have been funding war on Israel since its creation, this is not a recent thing. Its nice and easy to buy heaven with someone says give me a check for x amount of dollars for a holy cause, the people on Israels borders have no problem with funding. The wars been glamorized to the Arabs the same was Hollywood glamorizes war to the west.

When in fact the USA is almost the sole nation on the planet that has such a pro Israeli press and such a anti Palestinian one. And when it comes to stopping UN resolutions that might slow Israel down, its only the US veto that always stops those.

My position has always been that all sides in this Israeli Palestinian Arab conflict are wrong. The current problem is that its largely the United States that has driven all moderates on all sides out of the peace process. Leaving nothing but extremists want it all types in charge in the respective camps. And in that type of metric, no reasonable compromise will ever occur.

Its the Us threatening the lives of Academics, intellectuals and moderates in these countries.

Have you seen the US resolutions? Have you honestly sat down and looked at each one the US vetoed and why it vetoed them since Israels conception? There the same BS emotional attention grabber pulls we get in US politics. Yes, there are some specific ones but even those have valid reasons to be vetoed. (This is opinionated, I'm sure people here will think every resolution was valid, if we want to discuss them we can do it on another thread)