Civil Air Patrol

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Now that I have moved from Hoboken, NJ to Glen Ridge, NJ, I am looking for a new outlet for my volunteering (I have been driving an ambulance for a year or so)

I heard some drips and drabs about the Civil Air Patrol and its role in search & rescue and disaster relief and thought it might be up my alley. Anyone know what involvement is really like and what kind of things an adult volunteer can do?

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Now that I have moved from Hoboken, NJ to Glen Ridge, NJ, I am looking for a new outlet for my volunteering (I have been driving an ambulance for a year or so)

I heard some drips and drabs about the Civil Air Patrol and its role in search & rescue and disaster relief and thought it might be up my alley. Anyone know what involvement is really like and what kind of things an adult volunteer can do?

that sounds sweet

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Civil Air Patrol: I always envision a potential SNL skit involving Politeness Man @ 30,000 feet.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I was a cadet for six years..left as cadet Captain and former multi-term cadet squadron commander...attended Cadet Officer School at Maxwell AFB, participated in the 9-11-01 airport security mission in FL..

Fun stuff..I did eventually get bored with the cadet program, but I may join again..thinking about it.

Explains the nick, actually. :p

Edit: Adult volunteer:
You could work with the cadets in the cadet program....instructor (drill, first aid, disaster relief, search/rescue, etc)
If you don't want to work with kids, consider going through the training to become a ground team member/leader. Become proficient with the 'elper' (direction finder), and get the occasional phone call to go find an emergency beacon.

I've been on at least three calls, none of which were 'real' emergencies (EPIRB going off on a boat deck, hard landing and didn't check ELT, and another ghost ELT that was probably in a hangar..but we lost the signal before we could find it)..but there's always the possibility.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
What does that involve? Riding in a plane with a pair of binocs?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Mwilding
What does that involve? Riding in a plane with a pair of binocs?

The aircrew, yeah -- they typically have airborne DF gear as well.

I was a ground team member...driving around, stopping for a signal, driving again, another signal, triangulating, etc. The Air Force satellite gives us an approximate location, but we have to physically find it.