Civic love, the non-rice way

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: halik
Impressive, but that that point you might as well start with a car that has potential. Why dump all that cash into a civic when you end up with 161lb-ft of torque in the end.

A 944 turbo with the same amount of money put in it would run circles around the civic.

i doubt the cash outlay was actually anything big, he's a big name guy, owns his own shop, does his own work, has connections for everything else. Anything he would have to pay actual money for he almost certainly gets a discount, or even free.

And it's 161 ft-lbs at the wheels, from the engine dyno you see it's 200 ft-lbs at the crank. Still a bit low compared against the current generation K20, but probably higher than any other NA 2.0L motor.

I believe halik is pointing out that this guy tuning a Civic to the max, while impressive, is basically being done because it's there. His argument seems to be that for similar money and much less work, you could get a higher displacement, forced aspiration car that will perform similarly in a straight line, and handle worlds better

maybe the guy has done everything else already and wants try another platform. He's already done V8s and NHRA stuff.

finally, if his business is primarily honda I4s, this is basically his own R&D, he can apply what he picks up to his customer's cars.