Civ IV: Beyond the Sword

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Picked up BtS recently after purchasing Civ IV about a month ago. I was getting comfortable winning consistently on Noble with Domination (vs. 6-7 other Civs). Never was huge about culture. Beyond the Sword is a much different beast and I was wondering if you guys had any tips. This is what I've picked up reading the Civ 4 fanatics forum (reading through Aelf's threads and the discussion that takes place) and through some practice. I don't know if they're correct, but it's what I've picked up on.

-Attack early. Normally I'll go to war before 3000BC comes around and wipe out at least one of my neighboring civs. Especially if someone like Saladin, Napoleon, or Charlemange is next to me. Sometimes the neighboring Civs dont have anybody in their cities and I'll just walk in and capture them.
-Build up cottages early. They become a huge economy booster for me later on in the game, especially after Printing Press.
-Chop axeman. I'll use axeman typically for my second raid and chop out a bunch of them. With barracks, I'll typically use the +25% to archers upgrade because it's still early game and while +20% to city attack is nice, I get better odds because of the archers. It's a decent amount of time until I get up to 5 xp for the +25% city attack. They typically won't have any units except archers guarding the city at this time.
-Fat cross technique. 3-555-3.
-The Great Wall. I don't know if I really should be doing this, but I'll always chop rush the Great Wall wonder to avoid having to worry about Barbs.
-Expand, Expand, Expand. I don't like doing this, but it seems I have to. Earlier on, while I had 3 good cities going and a higher research rate (80-90%), it seems like all the AIs have 7 or more cities with really crappy research rates (40%). While production is good for me, because of all the cities they pump out a lot of archers for city defense and if I don't attack early enough, I have to wait until I have Construction for the catapults. Otherwise my Axe's get shredded.
-Rushing to my UU. I'll typically play civs with early UU (Caesar, the Vikings, etc). The only thing is, I still lose some effectiveness on these units because of the city defense and having to wait for catapults and trebuchets.
-Disregarding religion early on and focusing on the rush to Liberalism.

I haven't dealt with specialized cites at all (Commerce, Culture, Production) and really don't have a game plan on getting Great People (Generals I'll build their academy or get the +XP in the city, Spies I'll infiltrate).

So if anybody has some pointers for BtS they've picked up for a newbie like me, or corrections on what I've written here, it'd be a great help. I'm slowly sifting through the Fanatics forum, but it's just a hefty task in reading all that stuff.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Make sure you read the guides about maximizing your $economy and producing great people. After playing a bunch of Civ4 games and then reading them, it made my games much easier. While this doesn't specifically apply to BTS, it should help you out in the lower AI levels as you learn what curves BTS tosses.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Also, any tips on good late game play would be appreciated. I'm a pretty good starter (normally I'll be able to conquer 2-3 Civs by 1AD) but I have trouble later on if I don't wipe out the remaining Civs early. For some reason I stop paying attention to my military and before I know it someone else's has skyrocketed and I'm being sacked.

Kyteland

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2002
Try playing a different style, like going for a cultural victory. You will learn a lot by practicing something completely different.

Also, CivFanatics should start doing a Game of the Month for BTS. Start playing those when they come out and then read what other people did.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Kyteland
Try playing a different style, like going for a cultural victory. You will learn a lot by practicing something completely different.

Also, CivFanatics should start doing a Game of the Month for BTS. Start playing those when they come out and then read what other people did.

I read through Sulla's Epic Thirteen and that gave A LOT of informative tips.

Some things I noticed for people who don't have time to sift through:

-Inflation is horribly broken. It scales quadratically instead of linearly and completely cripples your research. The best way to counteract this is changing cities to wealth which increases your commerce per turn tremendously. Otherwise you'll be at 60% the entire game.
-Corporations are also borked. Great for bonuses like +food, but an absolute money pit. They're better to spread to rivals to absolutely sink their economy.
-AI is much improved, but they research poorly and use the Espionage slider too much.
-Building colonies is borked. Huge colonial maitenance costs, even after building a Forbidden Palace.

Those are some things that I quickly recapped. For anyone else interested, read here:
http://www.garath.net/Sullla/civ4_epic13_1.html