Civ 6 Announcement and Date

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Civilization 6 is not the same. It demands that you place your city improvements in geographic locations in hexes around the city, which best take advantage of that building's boosts and functions.

It goes on and on about how THE CITY is going to be the focus and much more...umm... "difficult" to build and plan correctly.

Should be interesting.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I certainly hope they'll implement everything that was added in Civ5 on release, like Religions and Espionnage.

But i'm loking foward to this game, the new City requirements for buildings sound nice.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I certainly hope they'll implement everything that was added in Civ5 on release, like Religions and Espionnage.

But i'm loking foward to this game, the new City requirements for buildings sound nice.

This

I really hope they don't leave features out that were in prior games just to sell them later in DLC. That being said I do believe they said religion would be included.

http://www.pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/

Mountains are great for studying the skies, so offer bonuses to your science campus. Mountains are also an imposing spot for worship – providing a boost to your faith.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
most people will enjoy the game and the loud minority will bitch about changes made and how the older version was better

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Looks like a game targeted for phones/tablets as well...

CIv4 worked pretty well on a touch screen (surface pro), and I assume civ5 did as well. Shame it made them get sonhit, but otherwise it was quite fun to play like that especially if you were on the go.

Hoping civ6 turns out well, I've not been much into them in a few years.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
When i first saw the screen shot my impression was rise of nation.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
It looks more or less the same as Civ 5, which I quit playing some time ago.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I could really care less about the visual style. Civ 4 had a cartoony look to the world map, and goofy, caricatured leader portraits who were usually making puns and otherwise injecting humor into the dialogue, and that is probably the single most respected and venerated entry in the series. I'd prefer a more realistic look and less like a 4X World of Warcraft cartoon strategy, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm far more concerned about the pre-DLC/expansion AI being utterly atrocious like the last game, and having features missing out of the box (religion, espionage) that were included in Civ 4. How this happens, outside of shameless and deliberate removal/exclusion so as to artificially have a reason to release DLCs and expansions, I'll never know.

Give me solid diplomacy options, quality AI, and a full, ungimped feature set for the vanilla version, and I'll consider the other new features and approach.

Without those things, I'm not going to bother.

Anon_lawyer

Sep 8, 2014
CIv4 worked pretty well on a touch screen (surface pro), and I assume civ5 did as well. Shame it made them get sonhit, but otherwise it was quite fun to play like that especially if you were on the go.

Hoping civ6 turns out well, I've not been much into them in a few years.

Civ5 has a touch enabled version, although I think it only appears on the launcher menu if it detected Windows 8 or above. Made tablet play work very nicely, although it did crash occasionally. I don't recall the standard DX11 version ever crashing. Civ is very well suited to touch play though, I hope they continue with the touch enabled version.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I could really care less about the visual style. Civ 4 had a cartoony look to the world map, and goofy, caricatured leader portraits who were usually making puns and otherwise injecting humor into the dialogue, and that is probably the single most respected and venerated entry in the series. I'd prefer a more realistic look and less like a 4X World of Warcraft cartoon strategy, but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm far more concerned about the pre-DLC/expansion AI being utterly atrocious like the last game, and having features missing out of the box (religion, espionage) that were included in Civ 4. How this happens, outside of shameless and deliberate removal/exclusion so as to artificially have a reason to release DLCs and expansions, I'll never know.

Give me solid diplomacy options, quality AI, and a full, ungimped feature set for the vanilla version, and I'll consider the other new features and approach.

Without those things, I'm not going to bother.

I agree. The visual style is going back to Civ 4, which was slightly more cartoony than Civ 5. It isn't outside the realm of the series. Civ 5 took a little more realistic look. Civ 6 looks like they are going with a cleaner texture and I don't mind it. I'm sure it will look nice just like all the previous games.

I think it would be great if they had a companion game on mobile.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I just hope multiplayer works better than Civ V. Once there were more than 3-4 people playing we'd run into all sorts of problems starting/connecting/loading/etc.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
From the little I've seen I like the graphics, but they won't fool me into pre-ordering this one. I bought Civ:Beyond Earth expecting it to be awesomer than having a pet unicorn but it turned out to be absolutely terrible.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Liked the change of design philosophy talked about in the article, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
Hmm, most important thing for me is the unit stacking. I thought Civ5 was a fun game on release, and got even better after the expansions. I just could not deal with the monotony of moving large armies around the map though. Especially at higher difficulty levels where you needed dozens of units just to launch a minor invasion. The map would literally be covered with units and you could spend 10-20 minutes per turn just on moving your army around.

Did it add some tactical depth? Sure, though not as much as expected, and it simply wasn't interesting enough to offset the unbearable boredom that it also created.

With Civ 6 it is good to see them acknowledge that they saw the problem and are trying to do something about it. Main steps its taking seems to be the reclassification of many units to 'support' (which can be stacked with regular army units) and some limited unit stacking (sounds like only up to 3 units, though I'm not sure that is set in stone, and even if it is mods could probably change it). These are both good steps, but I'm not sure it will be enough. This is really the only thing that is stopping this game from being a day 1 purchase for me.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Any details about the engine, and if so, any educated guesses about whether it will particularly benefit from AMD or NV cards?

This game will probably be what I spend the most time with in the next ~4 years so its good to have that in mind for an upcoming purchase of a new 14/16nm GPU.