Civ 5 expansion announced. "Gods and Kings"

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
espionage and religion - two things that were missing the most.
WTF for removing religion after it was great addition to Civ IV.
there are many things that are present and don't work well, but with those two at least play will be little more diverse.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
I'm excited. The sooner this comes out the better!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
espionage and religion - two things that were missing the most.
WTF for removing religion after it was great addition to Civ IV.
there are many things that are present and don't work well, but with those two at least play will be little more diverse.

they may have thought it was easier to balance without at the time.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
they may have thought it was easier to balance without at the time.
How does not having religion make it any easier to balance?
You're free to join any religion if you want to. There's no "game imba" associated with that.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Hmmm...looks interesting. I'm worried they'll find some way to cock it up, but I'll see what people have to say after its been out.

It might be just what it takes to actually make me want to give that abomination called Civ 5 another try.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I hope they use this expansion as a chance to rework some basic economy balance.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I can almost guarantee you they left out religion because they knew they could sell it as an expansion.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I can almost guarantee you they left out religion because they knew they could sell it as an expansion.

yup.

And just like the full game I will wait 2 months after release when it's $5 or less on a steam sale before upgrading.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I heard Atari was coming out with an expansion for Master of Orion 3. Any takers? Anybody? :)

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
What Civ 5 needs is some meaningful unit cap. That would make 1 unit 1 tile much more meaningful and interesting.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Althought Civ V does have an inheirent simplicity to it (at least compared to Civ IV, which is one of the biggest criticisms), it has amazing potential should they actually build on it.

First, they need to double or triple the hex resolution. The current hexes are just too large to handle advanced unit strategy and by keeping the land mass the same size and making the hexes smaller, it will also allow a more diverse tile arrangement. This alone would make the expansion worth it, but it's not likely to happen.

Second, we need more tile choices. The larger the tile the smaller the options, since you have to generalize their usage, but if we could have smaller tiles things like air bases, army bases, nuclear facilities supply centers etc could be built. Getting them out of the cities would provide a more diverse tactical environment. Even with the larger tiles, I think there is much lost potential that they haven't addressed ever with any Civ game.

I guess in all what I'm saying is that they should impliment some of the routine civic/military features that virtually every major wargame developer puts into their stuff. No one wants Civ to be another EU or HOI since those are combat driven games, but if they could create some sort of "bridge" it could be amazing.

I'm buying the expansion no matter what since I'm a big Civ V (and IV) fan and I've put in almost 150 hours so far and I have no problem putting in more.

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
I hope it makes Civ 5 playable.

Civ 5 is playable...now.

I played it with a friend about a month ago. They have improved it dramatically since I played it when it first came out.

There were so many issues when it first came out you could have called it an Alpha product that they released.

I hope this Expansion improves the game like BtS did for Civ 4. I'm going to wait until it is released, reviewed and receives a few bug fixes. Plus, I don't want to pay the $30+ they will probably want on release.

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Hmm, looks to have some good potential, but will wait for reviews, not gonna make the mistake of pre-ordering again.

slpnshot

Dec 1, 2011
Civ 5 is playable...now.

I played it with a friend about a month ago. They have improved it dramatically since I played it when it first came out.

There were so many issues when it first came out you could have called it an Alpha product that they released.

I hope this Expansion improves the game like BtS did for Civ 4. I'm going to wait until it is released, reviewed and receives a few bug fixes. Plus, I don't want to pay the $30+ they will probably want on release.

I don't know about glitches, but the majority of the complaints I hear about the game is the massive lag at the end(but I'm not sure if this is valid since the game is just so huge that it would need the computing time) and the stupidity of the AI(I can't really comment here because I never played it on anything higher than normal, yes I'm a noob).

georgec84

May 9, 2011

Exactly.

DLC has really made game distribution a sick practice. The publishers sell half-finished games at full price then ask people to pay more for the
"expansions" aka features that should have been there to begin with.

Civ V was horribly buggy and missed key features like religion. They should have waited another year or so before releasing the damn game.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I don't know about glitches, but the majority of the complaints I hear about the game is the massive lag at the end(but I'm not sure if this is valid since the game is just so huge that it would need the computing time) and the stupidity of the AI(I can't really comment here because I never played it on anything higher than normal, yes I'm a noob).

They are still present.