Civ 4 multiplayer

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Anyone around here do much civ 4 mp? Was thinking about trying to get a mp game going but I've never done so and was looking for some info/experiences first.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
I love Civ4 but I hate playing online, the experience is just too slow, especially on later turns, I do like playing on a LAN with friends, even if someone is taking a long time to finish their turn, it never gets boring with a couple of your buddies right there.

I don't think Civilization is a game well suited for online multiplayer, it's just TOO long.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
It really works best in lan play. I've played about 10 games or so with 5+ people in a lan setting and it is awesome! Hands down my favorite lan party experience. Shifting alliances, resource wars, and technology races make it an amazing experience.

Lan play is different from single player in a few ways. You have to be prepared for war, and not just 2 archers in your cities. You end up spending alot more money / time on defense assuming you aren't playing with a bunch of "builder" fags. It only takes one game to learn that 2 archers or long bowmen in a city isn t stopping my 15 units.

I recommend starting in an age other than the first one or even 2. Otherwise, you can very easily spend 6 hours making 4 cities and not having squat for techs. It is damn near impossible to play all the way to the modern age in a single session if you start in the earliest age.

It can be very frustrating if you don't get access to iron early on and can put you at a severe disadvantage. Nothing more frustrating than a neighbor making iron units and all you can put out are bronze age units. IF you get stuck without iron, you got to bee line to whatever the techs are needed to trade overseas and hope you can convince someone to share.

When the game starts, depending on your map type and number of players, a land grab ensues. Unfortunately, due to civ 4 mechanics, if you expand to much early on, you tank your economy. But if you don't, and keep your economy in the positive, you will get steam rolled once a few ages roll forward by the player who tanked his economy and has twice as many cities.

Put the turn timer on fast. It s enough time to make decisions if you are actively playing the game and not putzing on the internet or AIM.

I highly recommend getting a lan going and trying it out. A fifth or 3 of vodka makes it even more interesting!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
That's kinda why I was looking at doing a game with 2 peeps and the rest AI. Play a couple hours once or twice a week so you could play a full game out.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
It's also great when everyone gives their civs, leaders and cities funny names and everyone plays for fun, it really is an amazing experience and Bulldog13 put it perfectly.

If you don't know the people you are playing with it is a big royal snorefest but if you can get a LAN party going with friends then it's really just awesome.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I've played a couple games, but as was previously mentioned, late game gets too slow and I usually end up nodding off heh.

I'd be down to play though.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If anyone at least interested in trying something tonight or tomorrow night send me a note.

Oct 30, 2004

What do you guys think of Sins of a Solar Empire? It might be the closest you can get to having a 4X type game that's viable for online multiplayer. (A 3v3 can take about an hour-and-a-half.)