Civ 3 on Steam window mode

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Need some assistance if any can be offered. Bought civ3 for nostalgia purposes, and I can't find the .ini to mod so I can run it in window mode. I set steam launch options to run in a window but that didn't work. Can someone help me out? I've already googled but nothing came up for the steam version

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I know steam stuff is saved to odd directories in vista and above compared to regular games, so may have to try some search strings for it.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Try hitting alt-enter. That usually puts most games in full screen mode. It might work to put civ 3 (or another game) into windowed mode.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Need some assistance if any can be offered. Bought civ3 for nostalgia purposes, and I can't find the .ini to mod so I can run it in window mode. I set steam launch options to run in a window but that didn't work. Can someone help me out? I've already googled but nothing came up for the steam version

Some games just don't like running in windows mode, which sucks. This really is horrible if you use dual monitors. That is one reason why I went back to a single display. Much easier. Not enough games support windowed mode with no borders. You may not be able to. Like counter strike source.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Civ3

there is no civilizationiii.ini in that directory, which is the one i need to change.

Alt-enter pretends like it is going to work and then goes back to full screen. I should probably go back to single monitor...I just like have duals.

Noob question: Is there a way to search my entire pc on windows 7?

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
there is no civilizationiii.ini in that directory, which is the one i need to change.

Alt-enter pretends like it is going to work and then goes back to full screen. I should probably go back to single monitor...I just like have duals.

Noob question: Is there a way to search my entire pc on windows 7?

If there's no civiii.ini file in the directory that's supposed to contain it, why don't you try creating it?

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
If there's no civiii.ini file in the directory that's supposed to contain it, why don't you try creating it?

because there is a string of text that i need to alter...and i only know the values you have to change in order to get it to run in a "window"...without the full line of text it wont work.