City taking woman's home away (which is paid in full) and taxes up to date

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Why doesn't she turn them on and just don't use them? It would cost a little money in minimum billings, but they couldn't say she doesn't have them available.

The issue is that the law shouldn't be written so that she is required to carry city water. Only that potable water be available on demand.

Did this area outlaw wells?

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
If you don't follow city ordinances, you suffer consequences. Is this that hard to understand? She knew the rules going in and is now suffering the consequences. She should have chosen a place to live that allowed for her lifestyle choices, it isn't that hard.

Her rights do not supercede those of her neighbors. If you are a home owner, you understand that. The last thing I want in my neighborhood is someone breaking ordinances by living off the grid. It would destroy my property value.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The last thing I want in my neighborhood is someone breaking ordinances by living off the grid. It would destroy my property value.

Why would it destroy your property value? Why wkuld your neighbor having a well and solar\wi d power affect you at all?

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
how does she flush her toilet?

You don't need running water to flush a toilet. It will just not refill again automatically. All she has to do is refill the tank on the back after the toilet is flushed.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The issue is that the law shouldn't be written so that she is required to carry city water. Only that potable water be available on demand.

Did this area outlaw wells?

Not only do most municipalities prohibit wells but also illegal to collect rainwater. That rainwater belongs to the municipality water Dept that you must pay.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Not only do most municipalities prohibit wells but also illegal to collect rainwater. That rainwater belongs to the municipality water Dept that you must pay.

No they do not. And don't post the BS story of the guy who blocked a stream as proof. That was debunked several times.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

How do you figure? You must live in some backwards state.

All Ohio requires is periodic testing for the relevant waterborne diseases.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Elaborated on what? Why are you asking me if liberals are right here when liberals have nothing to do with this woman's predicament?

Here's what I originally asked you:

Are they right here? Pick a side, please.

You seem to now be arguing that liberals had nothing to do with this law. Since the eviction notice didnt cite a specific code or statute, I dont know how you can possibly know that but let's set that issue aside for the moment.

Hypothetically, if we had the pedigree for this law and we knew it was passed by liberals, would you support that law? One that compels you to purchase city water exclusively.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
You seem to now be arguing that liberals had nothing to do with this law. Since the eviction notice didnt cite a specific code or statute, I dont know how you can possibly know that but let's set that issue aside for the moment.

because the city is the 16th most conservative in the country, so the likelihood that some cabal of liberals passed the occupancy regs is extremely low. unless these conservatives are just more closet liberals.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
because the city is the 16th most conservative in the country, so the likelihood that some cabal of liberals passed the occupancy regs is extremely low. unless these conservatives are just more closet liberals.

However, we dont know if it's a city ordinance, county or state law, or even when it was passed.

And to make sure my point is crystal clear: the city could be enforcing a county or state law differently or more strenuously than their peers as long as that law is loosely worded.

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

ROFLMFAO.... complete and utter ownage!

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
However, we dont know if it's a city ordinance, county or state law, or even when it was passed.

And to make sure my point is crystal clear: the city could be enforcing a county or state law differently or more strenuously than their peers as long as that law is loosely worded.

Occupancy requirements are typically tied to local building codes. Local as in the codes adopted by the city. Not some overarching state law. This is a very local issue.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
lets analyze the facts

She lives in a city that has specific code requirements for any structure where persons intend to occupy as a home.

She has chose to not follow code and have water/electricity/utilities etc etc...

Clear and cut case.

I don't care about a person's choice to live off of the grid, in fact I think its cool. But she should have chosen somewhere else to live if she truly does not want city water when she is aware of the local codes/law.

Personally, I think she should have just hooked up city water and electricity to her structure and not used it.