City of God

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SkyBum

Oct 16, 2004
Just watched it a week or two ago. I thought it was well done for a low budget foreign film. Camera work was great, the story wasn't bad. I'd give it a 6.5 - 7.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I liked it more than the average response here it seems, a lot can be said about the movie, but I just thought it was great.

Bacardi151

Dec 15, 2003
movie was ok, pretty brutal. yeah it's based on a true story, at least that's what the movie implies with the ending showing a clip of the real gangster guy.

there was just times i couldnt take this movie seriously because it was about 5 year old kids gang banging and bullying adults.

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Bacardi151
movie was ok, pretty brutal. yeah it's based on a true story, at least that's what the movie implies with the ending showing a clip of the real gangster guy.

there was just times i couldnt take this movie seriously because it was about 5 year old kids gang banging and bullying adults.

have a 6 year old point a gun at your face and you wont care how old he is... :(

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
That was the whole thing.. that little kid was evil from the time he was small - no one thought he would do what he did.. so it took guys by surprise.. then he had enough guns n stuff to defend himself. Lucky i guess.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i can't believe u'd want to butcher it with a dub. just imagine your favorite american movie being dubbed into another language for other people. it just wouldn't be the same, you throw away the work of the actors.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Wallydraigle
Originally posted by: Hyperblaze
Umm...it's really not that good a story. However, I believe it's a true story. Not quite my type...but it does show an interesting part of the world.

I have no idea why it's called "City of God".

Because a catchy title can sell a movie that is shitty.

are you serious? city of god is an amazing movie...
can you tell me why it's bad? or why you diddnt like it? i thought the story was great...very well filmed and also well put together.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
btw...acting was supurb..did you know Lil Z was an actual gangster they took off the streets to film the movie and i think 2-6th months after the movie he was arrested for stealing a purse? (guess he wasnt paid...)

Hyperblaze

Lifer
May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: PHiuR
Originally posted by: Wallydraigle
Originally posted by: Hyperblaze
Umm...it's really not that good a story. However, I believe it's a true story. Not quite my type...but it does show an interesting part of the world.

I have no idea why it's called "City of God".

Because a catchy title can sell a movie that is shitty.

are you serious? city of god is an amazing movie...
can you tell me why it's bad? or why you diddnt like it? i thought the story was great...very well filmed and also well put together.

Just not my kind of movie? It's an entirely different culture there so that's probably no fault of it's own. The storyline was interesting....but I can't really say much else. We all have different tastes in movies...I just wasn't quite the target audience in this one.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Brilliant movie ... and if you want to check it out in detail, watch the documentaries on the DVD ... scarier than the movie for sure. Worth a look.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I really watched a movie with only subtitles? I watched it about 6 months ago, but I generally don't do that, so I am surprised it was not dubbed in English. Movie was decent.
Brilliant movie ... and if you want to check it out in detail, watch the documentaries on the DVD ... scarier than the movie for sure. Worth a look.
Agreed. Bonus material on dvds is almost invariably crap, but in this case it was worth watching.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I really watched a movie with only subtitles? I watched it about 6 months ago, but I generally don't do that, so I am surprised it was not dubbed in English. Movie was decent.
Agreed. Bonus material on dvds is almost invariably crap, but in this case it was worth watching.

I only saw the movie when I rented it last year, maybe I should rent it again and watch the documentaries

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
One of my favorite movies ever...and no, there is only a Portuguese version. I think that only adds to the authenticity of the movie. I can't believe the conditions some people grow up with in this world...I feel really lucky to be where I am.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
The people who saw the movie and don't know what the title is about scare me. I swear it was mentioned no less than 2 minutes into the movie.

Also bothers me: when people qualify liking it in a way that indicates that most foreign movies suck "for a foreign film, it was good". :roll:

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Rented this a while back when it was released on DVD - I recommend it all the time; I thought it was an amazing film as well.

It is nice to break from the norm and watch a different type of film once in a while.

Azndude51

Platinum Member
Sep 26, 2004
I just saw it an hour ago with my friends. I thought it was going to be a really bad movie, but it was actually really good.

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Wow. I just got done watching this movie. It really is amazing. Brutal at times, but always honest. I loved the interweaving stories.