City of God

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
EDIT: Just finished watching it, man its really depressing but still a good film. I knew it was bad over but I had no idea it was that horrible.

I got it in from Netflix today but was disappointed to find out its in portuguese. Anyone know if there's a version in english?

Hyperblaze

Lifer
May 31, 2001
Umm...it's really not that good a story. However, I believe it's a true story. Not quite my type...but it does show an interesting part of the world.

I have no idea why it's called "City of God".

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Hyperblaze
Umm...it's really not that good a story. However, I believe it's a true story. Not quite my type...but it does show an interesting part of the world.

what language did you see the movie in?

Wallydraigle

Banned
Nov 27, 2000

Because a catchy title can sell a movie that is shitty.

Hyperblaze

Lifer
May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkitech

what language did you see the movie in?

probably same as you....I remember subtitles.

Although it's been a while since i watched it.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
It's original name is Cidade de deus which is portugese for city of god, which is the name of one of a real slum district in brazil. The movie is great and should have subs unless you got some wacky other region dvd.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Wallydraigle

Because a catchy title can sell a movie that is shitty.

Have you even seen the movie?

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
This is a great movie but you have to watch it more as a documentary... it depicts what happened in the 70's I believe in rio. Quite violent...

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkitech
I got it in from Netflix today but was disappointed to find out its in portuguese. Anyone know if there's a version in english?

Read the subtitles, pansy! :)

desk

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2004
it's an excellent movie. i was lucky enough to catch it in the theater when it was rereleased. also have it on dvd.

not sure if there is an english version.

but i think you should watch it anyhow, definitely worth it. as with any subtitled movie, you tend to forget you are reading the words after a while. when i remember the movie, i remember them speaking in english.

Drizzy

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2003
I really enjoyed seeing how someone that came from nothing made something of his life. Really showed the different paths 2 kids in the same situation can take. Great story about growing up and the good times of youth.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I have the netflix version. Just read the sub. I don't know what to think. I need it watch it again. The entire movie is in Portuguese.

InterpolAgent

Dec 7, 2004
That's an awesome movie. Why anyone would want to watch dubbed movies is beyond me though. I feel like dubbed versions lose a little bit of the original actor's true feelings.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Just finished watching it, man its really depressing but still a good film. I knew it was bad over but I had no idea it was that horrible.

illustri

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2001
its still bad over there, policemen shoot and kill little kids like the runts - if they don't want to get shot and killed themselves

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I saw it in the theater with my wife a couple of years ago. What a wild movie. It was good but the violence was at times hard to stomach.
Our ghettos are like paradise compared to the favelas.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
i saw it and i thought it was pretty good for a forigin film, its based on a true story which also makes it good

and teh dude is shooting a Nikon so thats even better